Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where are the Comtech graduates?
kimkat
post Dec 25 2004, 08:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8525

Hi! I'm a Comtech freshie and I really want to know what the Comtech graduates are doing now because my mom keeps on insisting that I shift to BS Management since she thinks that I don't have any future in my course. So please help me convince her because I really love my course! I plan to take the marketing track btw. Thanks in advance!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pineforest Crunc...
post Dec 25 2004, 09:34 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 947

The owner of Atenista.Net is a Comtech grad. Maybe that would give you an idea about what Comtech grads do after college. (IMG:http://atenista.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
adroth
post Dec 26 2004, 03:01 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2245

QUOTE(kimkat @ Dec 25 2004, 12:19 PM)
Hi! I'm a Comtech freshie and I really want to know what the Comtech graduates are doing now because my mom keeps on insisting that I shift to BS Management since she thinks that I don't have any future in my course. So please help me convince her because I really love my course! I plan to take the marketing track btw. Thanks in advance!

One's career isn't solely determined by one's course. I'm an Electrical Engineering graduate, but now I'm a technical writer / trainer-in-training . . . and I used to work in a bank as a credit investigator / appraiser. (IMG:http://atenista.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

My course was just something nice to put on my resume, and nothing more.

What is it about Comtech that you love? Can you not learn these aspects of the course on your own, away from college? What is it about business management that your parents want you to learn? Can you not acquire those skills as you work as a Comtech grad?

+Quote Post
rabbaddal
post Dec 26 2004, 04:31 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 8722

I agree with adroth. Business is a very open-ended field and there's room for people from different college majors. I work in an investment bank and I am the only one in my team to major in business for undergrad. My colleagues come from diverse fields ranging from the humanities to engineering. If you really love your course, then stick to it because recruiters in the business sector are looking for people who have good academic performance and passion - things that are very hard to accomplish if you do not love the course you are in. You could end up shooting yourself in the foot because shifting to another course you don't really like could make your college life miserable and dampen your performance in school.

+Quote Post
meadow_soprano
post Jan 4 2005, 05:55 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 10887

Hi kimkat! You are right in loving your course. Of course i'm just saying that coz i am a comtech graduate myself. Personal bias, hehe.

But let me shed light on the common notion about Comtech graduates working on call centers upon graduation. (I have nothing against call centers, okay, and some people do end up succesful there. In fact, my friend who works in one was promoted to Team leader only after a few months). While it is an option, it is not the only option. Some of my batchmates, if they are not in the marketing divisions of their companies , are in media (Channel 2 & 7 as PAs, executive producers etc.), publishing (Summit, Inquirer, PhilStar etc. ), advertising (either as graphic artists or account executives O&M, McCann, although the good Ad agencies rarely have openings), telecom (PLDT, Globe,Smart) to name a few. As you would notice, these are areas that the course Comtech is preparing its students for.

As for me, I am currently employed in the corporate marketing division (investor releations unit) of a financial services firm. Given the nature of the company, it is but expected that i know something about finance and at the same time creative work. Meaning, i can immediately shift from analyzing financial statements to doing creative PR work (media mileage, Press releases, advertising, corporate presentations), to events mgt, corporate planning, and eventually investors and stockholders concern. While its true that Comtech students are considered jack of all trades, master of none, (yes, this is true, i admit) at least we are equiped with a little of everything, right? Oh btw, while you major in Comtech, you can also Minor in Finance to please your mom (just as long as you maintain a B in your math, acctg and finance subjects, ok?). Finance minors also take up subjects that Mgt students take up.

So think about it. Comtech is really a fun course. Although my only comment was that the major subjects are like cramped in 4 years, (i felt that it should have been longer, say 5 yrs, considering comtech is like a triple major course, hehe), i could proudly say that i spent 4 of my glorious, craziest, happiest, agonizing and fulfilling years in the comtech course of the Ateneo... NO regrets.

good luck with your decision!

+Quote Post
koots
post Oct 12 2005, 03:08 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1305

I wish I read your post earlier, Kimkat. I'm a comtech graduate myself and I'm now working for a wireless applications service provider (i do marketing-related work). Just to add to what meadow_soprano already said: yes, a lot of comtech grads get in ad agencies, media, telcos, marketing firms, even banks. Some i know are also freelance photographers, graphic artists and are working in fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) companies like Unilever, Procter&Gamble, URC.

I think what's great about our course is exactly what people criticize about it - that it's a touch of everything. Maybe one way you could justify your course to you mom is, like what abroth said, it's what the person makes of the course and not the course that makes of the person that counts. But with Comtech specifically, the beauty in it is HOW you use all three fields - comm, CS and mgt/mktg to your advantage. You can choose to just concentrate on one field, and strengthen your choice, or you can use all 3 to work all together.

My one advice, which i believe not only works for Comtech, is be active with school orgs. School orgs train and prepare you for work in the real world. If you work with our home org - Ateneo ACTM - you'll learn more about our course and about dealing with different kinds of people. More so, you'll have a taste of how work in the real world is like. I'm probably biased, as i worked with ACTM a lot during my college years, but I believe everyone who worked for whatever org will also say that their extra curriculars helped them a lot in terms of enhancing skills, and being able to answer interview questions excellently.

Good luck! Like what the others here said, it's better to have passion for your course because that's how you can really shine and excel.

One last thing, I believe one of the visions of comtech is to train students to become "CREATIVE MANAGERS" conversant in the communications processes of today's burgeoning telco and IT industries. Keep that in mind. You chose the right course!

+Quote Post
alikishi
post Oct 12 2005, 11:04 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2651

if you have any questions regarding comtech, I think I am the right person to ask to, diba charlatan? (IMG:http://atenista.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Les Infanterie
post Jan 2 2007, 08:13 PM
Post #8

Lifetime Atenista

Member No.: 3602

^ ako na lang sasagot! hahahaha!
YEP YEP! ask alikishi!

+Quote Post
jelleine
post Apr 21 2007, 01:00 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 16575

gusto ko po kasi maging broadcaster someday....first choice ko is ab comm but i got into comtech..may chance pa rin ba akong maging broadcaster kahit na comtech ang course ko? and does it mean na hindi ako magaling kasi comtech ang course ko? kasi i've read somewhere na mababa lang ang tingin nila sa comtech students?

+Quote Post
koots
post Jun 15 2007, 07:32 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1305

QUOTE(jelleine @ Apr 21 2007, 05:00 AM) *
gusto ko po kasi maging broadcaster someday....first choice ko is ab comm but i got into comtech..may chance pa rin ba akong maging broadcaster kahit na comtech ang course ko? and does it mean na hindi ako magaling kasi comtech ang course ko? kasi i've read somewhere na mababa lang ang tingin nila sa comtech students?

Yes, I do believe you can pursue your dreams of becoming a broadcaster with a course like Comtech. Actually, in my opinion the strongest track in the Comtech curriculum is Comm (at least in my time), so you're in good hands. It's also what and how you make of the Comm track and subjects in Comtech that should matter. I would even say that when you graduate, you would have an edge over AB Comm graduates in terms of the business/finance subjects you have taken and which they have not. I think this will enable you to move up to the managerial levels of the broadcasting industry.

I think just because you did not make it to your first course choice, does not mean that hindi ka magaling. The reason you were not shortlisted to your first course was maybe the number of students in Comm was quickly filled up. Competition is also tough.

In response to the negative perception on Comtech students and Comtech as a course, I think it's simply a matter of opinion. I'm sure the profs and the Dean of the School of Management would defend Comtech and say that it is a formidable course, and I believe it would be wise to follow their thinking, since after all, they should know what they are talking about. As evidence, there are plenty of successful Comtech grads already, in different fields.

+Quote Post
Les Infanterie
post Dec 8 2008, 10:50 PM
Post #11

Lifetime Atenista

Member No.: 3602

2 good friends of mine came from comtech, both of them are in agencies right now. tbwa and zo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 03:25 PM