Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Max Soliven Passes Away In Tokyo
post Nov 24 2006, 02:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13691

Maximo Soliven died at a Tokyo hospital from pneumonia he is reportedly 73 years old.

He received his PhD at Harvard University in International studies and has since remained influential in media.

What is his legacy?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Nov 27 2006, 08:05 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 14132

i remember max soliven most from the mr and mrs magazine days after ninoy was martyred in 1983. as a senior in high school, he made me understand the issues, which he presented with such detail and depth. he helped me form my position on the marcos dictatorship and the needed reforms in government. i lost track of his writings after cory's tenure, though. he continued to write for the philippine star, and once in a while i'd catch up on his latest thoughts and musings.

he was supportive of pgma in the last few years of his life, that much i know.
+Quote Post
post Nov 28 2006, 01:59 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10326

thought it would be good to post this memo from fr. nebres on this thread. a true atenean, mr. soliven never backed down from any position when he knew he was right, even if it hauled him to court or landed him in jail. i may not have agreed with everything he said or wrote, but he certainly has my respect and admiration for calling a spade a dirty shovel.

hopefully, all future generations of atenean journalists -- and all real journalists regardless of the school they attended -- will follow in his steps, and not be swayed one way or the other by any considerations other than the truth.

Ateneo de Manila University

27 November 2006

As is known to all of us, MAXIMO V. SOLIVEN (Ateneo GS ’41, HS ’47, AB ’51) passed away on November 24, 2006 at the age of 77. His professional career is well known to us. So allow me simply to recall his Ateneo roots.

He was Managing Editor of the Ateneo Guidon, Editor-in-Chief of the Ateneo Quarterly and Co-editor-in-Chief of Ateneo Aegis. He was active in the Campion Literary Guild and the Chesterton Evidence Guild, among many other activities in Ateneo College.

When the Ateneo de Manila gave him the Ozanam Award in 1970, part of the citation read:

“The College Editors’ Guild chose him as its ‘Most Outstanding Alumnus in Journalism’ twice, once in 1958 and then again during its Pearl Anniversary in 1961. Mr. Soliven was granted the TOYM award for Journalism in 1960 and the Rotary Award in 1969 as Columnist of the Year.

In honoring Mr. Soliven, the Ateneo selects one of her own alumni who has risen to distinction in his chosen profession. Today, when the young are questioning the sincerity of their elders, Mr. Soliven, despite strong pressures, has remained true to the principles of Justice and Charity symbolized by the Ozanam award.

At a time when gestures are often mistaken for solid achievements, it is good to remember that, ‘he who feeds men, serves few but he serves all who dares be true.’ Because Mr. Soliven for nearly twenty years, has rendered outstanding service to his country and his Church by daring to be true, the Ateneo is proud to confer on him its most distinguished citation, the OZANAM AWARD.”

The wake will begin tomorrow afternoon at the St. Ignatius Church at Camp Aguinaldo. The first evening Mass tomorrow, Tuesday, November 28, will be celebrated by myself at around 8 p.m. after the University Awards for Excellence. It will be a Mass to remember, in particular, Max Soliven’s deep roots in the Ateneo de Manila and to give thanks to the Lord for his life and all he has been and given for our country.

We would like to invite the whole Ateneo community to this Mass and ask that we all remember Mr. Soliven in our Masses and prayers.

+Quote Post
post Dec 4 2006, 07:14 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13720

He became part of the the resistance during the Japanese occupation as a guerilla volunteer. Also at the time of World War II, he was a cadet at the Ateneo ROTC.. Soliven's a real hero.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th March 2018 - 05:44 PM