> 2012 PCCL
busyon1
post Nov 16 2012, 12:32 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 32050

The PCCL website .....

http://www.collegiatechampionsleague.net/

... explains the format. The Ateneo and San Beda as UAAP/NCAA champs are already included in the final four. SWU (article below) joined the two and the last slot is disputed amongst remaining hopefuls (I think Adamson just ousted Lasal in an elimination game in Cebu.)

Something to fill in the hoop aficionado's time while following the NBA ....

SWU defeats UV anew to represent Cebu in PCCL final four
By Celest R. Flores
INQUIRER.net
7:01 pm | Thursday, November 15th, 2012

MANILA, Philippines—Southwestern University scored over University of Visayas anew, 82-78, to clinch the Southern Islands title and reach the Philippine Collegiate Champions League (PCCL) final four Thursday.

The SWU Cobras, who edged the UV Green Lancers in five games to be crowned the Cesafi champions recently, battled in a shooutout in the fourth quarter but nailed the needed buckets in the end game.

The Cobras’ fellow champions, UAAP’s Ateneo and NCAA’s San Beda in the final four as they await the victor of the grueling Luzon-Metro Manila bracket next week.

SWU, though, nearly got stopped on its tracks when UV surged to a 70-63 lead, after being down by as much as 18 in the first half.

But the Cobras showcased the resiliency of a champion squad, wiping away that lead in a snap and knotting the game at 70 on a triple by Joseph Nalos with 3:49 to go.

Nalos, who churned out 19 points for the Cobras, would come up big for SWU in the final minute—knocking down two crucial charities that put them ahead for the best.

Cameroonian reinforcement Benoit Mbala, who also helped SWU down the stretch, led all scorers with 21 points while Monbert Arong had 18 points.

Ahead by 78-75 with 1:39 to go on a four-point play by Phil Mercader, the Green Lancers failed to complete their stunning comeback after costly errors down the stretch.

UV had a tough break when Cesafi rookie-MVP Wowie Escosio got sent out with still under two minutes to go for a delay of the game infraction.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
busyon1
post Nov 16 2012, 10:16 AM
Post #2

^ I note that SWU has a Cameroonian import. Looks like this is not only a Metro-Manila but a national trend.

http://sports.inquirer.net/71254/adamson-l...a-salle-in-pccl

Adamson leans on Cabrera, Cruz to eliminate La Salle in PCCL
By Celest R. Flores
INQUIRER.net
8:02 pm | Thursday, November 15th, 2012

MANILA, Philippines—Adamson booted out La Salle, 63-56, Thursday and kept its unbeaten streak dating back to the Metro Manila qualifiers in the Philippine Collegiate Champions League (PCCL).

The Falcons leaned on clutch treys from swingman Roider Cabrera in the final minute to seal the victory, which sets up a meet with San Sebastian on Sunday in the Sweet 16.

Jericho Cruz, who has definitely emerged every game as the squad’s main man, steered the Falcons to the lead, 55-52, before Cabrera’s wide-open triple.

Cruz first gave the Falcons their first lead of the game, 49-48, with 3:41 left in the game.

Cruz and Cabrera led Adamson with 17 and 15 points, respectively, to put on a show in a packed Cebu Coliseum.

The Falcons, who weren’t able to show the extent of their grit in the UAAP, had to go through three-day qualifiers just to reach the Sweet 16 of the PCCL—which is now on its Cebu City stop.

La Salle came out firing and opened up an 8-0 lead, but eventually slowed down and allowed Adamson to keep in step.
A four-point swing courtesy of Oda Tampus and Norbert Torres had the Green Archers holding on by a hairline, but turnovers keyed in their doom in the finals seconds.

The UAAP fourth-placers, who hurdled Perpetual Help to get to Cebu, was still in the lead, 46-42, on a bucket by Jeron Teng with six minutes to go.

This post has been edited by busyon1: Nov 16 2012, 10:19 AM

+Quote Post
busyon1
post Nov 17 2012, 09:12 AM
Post #3

Saturday morning, 9AM ..... channel surfing .... waiting for the Miami Heat game. I chanced upon channel 34 "Balls TV" and there's a PCCL game between UV vs HTC (I don't know what "HTC" is.) UV has a black import ... Akomo ... who just dunked. Looks like, as I said, the African invasion is here to stay.

An unconfirmed rumor is that the Ateneo-San Beda final four game will be staged at the MOA. I repeat: unconfirmed.

This post has been edited by busyon1: Nov 17 2012, 09:15 AM

+Quote Post
busyon1
post Nov 18 2012, 03:46 PM
Post #4

On studio 23 (Skycable 17) was just televised the Adamson-San Sebastian game (held at the San Juan Arena) where the Falcons defeated the defending champions Stags 88-79. Jericho Cruz (37 points) and Brondial of Adamdon delivered monster games. The four graduating players of the Falcons were not used.

Letran will play UST in the second televised game.

UST defeats Letran 78-73. The UAAP again shows its dominance over the NCAA in this tournament (an NCAA team won just one championship as against 8 for the UAAP.)

Adamson faces UST tomorrow at the Arena (4PM) for a knock-out match .... the winner joining the Ateneo, San Beda and SWU in the round-robin final four.

I have no news (nor have I inquired/researched) as to who will coach the Blue Eagles, whether the graduating players will see action. It is a thanksgiving surprise.

For me, because the school is being represented and this is a legit competition, the Ateneo should put its best face forward .... and play hard to win. Even if it's the post-Black era, the drive for excellence should always prevail.

This post has been edited by busyon1: Nov 18 2012, 06:01 PM

+Quote Post
sax
post Nov 19 2012, 06:54 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 34440

QUOTE(busyon1 @ Nov 18 2012, 03:46 PM) *
On studio 23 (Skycable 17) was just televised the Adamson-San Sebastian game (held at the San Juan Arena) where the Falcons defeated the defending champions Stags 88-79. Jericho Cruz (37 points) and Brondial of Adamdon delivered monster games. The four graduating players of the Falcons were not used.

Letran will play UST in the second televised game.

UST defeats Letran 78-73. The UAAP again shows its dominance over the NCAA in this tournament (an NCAA team won just one championship as against 8 for the UAAP.)

Adamson faces UST tomorrow at the Arena (4PM) for a knock-out match .... the winner joining the Ateneo, San Beda and SWU in the round-robin final four.

I have no news (nor have I inquired/researched) as to who will coach the Blue Eagles, whether the graduating players will see action. It is a thanksgiving surprise.

For me, because the school is being represented and this is a legit competition, the Ateneo should put its best face forward .... and play hard to win. Even if it's the post-Black era, the drive for excellence should always prevail.

So, it's Ateneo vs UST again in the Final four of the PCCL.

+Quote Post
busyon1
post Nov 19 2012, 09:14 PM
Post #6

Even though Louie Alas had resigned, he still coached Letran for the PCCL. Coach Pido Jarencio said that he may not coach his Tigers next year .... but he's still around finishing off the year. The Blue Eagles, as far as I know, is orphaned. Walang iwanan. Hmmmm ....

Over at the TV coverage, the camera panned at the imports of SWU. They looked big to me .... just like Kareem Abdul. The Ateneo needs forwards and centers. Are there any Jesuits in Africa?

Why Africans will be basketball stars of tomorrow
by Masai Ujiri, Special to CNN, November 13, 2012

(CNN)--As an NBA executive, I'm always looking for untapped potential. As a proud native of Nigeria, I believe that Africa is one of the world's greatest resources in that area.

From Angola and Tunisia to Senegal and South Sudan, there is so much size and athletic ability across the continent.

Some tribes in Sudan and Senegal have an average height of 6-foot-6, which also happens to be the size of the average NBA player.

People in Nigeria, Mali and Congo tend to be very big and physical. We need to build a strategy to go into these regions and cultivate the talent through infrastructure and instruction.

Not long ago, soccer in Africa was almost the same way. It was untapped.

Kids in Africa start kicking a ball when they are six or seven years old, if not younger. It's like baseball, basketball and football in America. If you're talented, people will find you. That's what happened with soccer. The number of academies has grown rapidly, and people are really into it. As a result, nearly every major soccer team has a lot of African players.

Through my experience as a Nigerian player, coach and now NBA executive, I believe basketball can follow a similar path. It starts with building facilities. We need to start investing in outdoor courts and indoor gyms for kids to play.

Most kids in Africa don't start playing basketball until they are 13 or 14 years old. This puts them at a disadvantage because they lack the instincts and must work harder to develop the skills and habits formed at an early age.

With a tremendous assist from the NBA, Nike and the International Basketball Federation (FIBA), we have been trying to provide opportunities for the next generation of African basketball players.

Every year, we conduct the Giants of Africa camp, sponsored by Nestlé Milo and Nike, as well as the NBA Basketball Without Borders Africa elite camp. Nearly 100 campers have gone on to play college basketball in the United States, including Luc Mbah a Moute, who now plays for the Milwaukee Bucks.

Mbah a Moute (Cameroon) is one of several African success stories. Serge Ibaka (Democratic Republic of Congo) is a rising star for the Oklahoma City Thunder, and Luol Deng (born in Sudan) was an All-Star last year for the Chicago Bulls. These guys are great examples for young people in Africa. Kids are beginning to see the possibilities because of the exposure of the NBA.

It was unfortunate that Hakeem Olajuwon (Nigeria), Dikembe Mutombo (Congo) and Manute Bol (Sudan)--three African giants--came in an era before the internet, cable and satellite television. A lot of African kids have heard of these guys, but they don't know the scope of their accomplishments. Deng, Ibaka and Mbah a Moute are trying to become giants themselves, but they can't do it alone.

I grew up there. I played there. I know how much talent there is.

Through the Sprite clinics and Basketball Without Borders, we've been to Congo, Guinea, Kenya, Malawi, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Senegal, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. On a continent with more than a billion people, we still have a lot more ground to cover, and we need help from sponsors in Africa.

We need more companies to help build courts and gymnasiums for kids to play. Nestle Milo paid for a world-class floor made in the United States. That's what we use for my Giants of Africa camp. For years, Nike has generously provided shoes and equipment for the players. That is the kind of support we need from influential investors in Africa.

As you can probably tell, the push to develop talent in Africa is personal.

I grew up there. I played there. I know how much talent there is. We have to concentrate on building facilities, establishing successful leagues and finding investors to help young players.

America gave me the opportunity, but I truly believe Africa is going to be the next big thing. It is going to be prominent in tapping basketball talent. I really hope I'm alive to see it happen.

This much is certain: I will die trying.

+Quote Post
busyon1
post Nov 20 2012, 08:10 AM
Post #7

Nov 21 2PM San Beda vs SWU
(Wed) 4PM Ateneo vs UST
Nov 23 2PM Ateneo vs SWU
(Fri) 4PM San Beda vs UST
Nov 25 2PM UST vs SWU
(Sun) 4PM Ateneo vs San Beda

+Quote Post
sax
post Nov 20 2012, 10:25 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 34440

QUOTE(busyon1 @ Nov 20 2012, 08:10 AM) *
(Wed) 4PM Ateneo vs UST
Nov 23 2PM Ateneo vs SWU
Nov 25 2PM UST vs SWU

The common denominator in all of Ateneo's Final Four opponents: AFRICAN IMPORTS! WAKA WAKA!

+Quote Post
Blue sky
post Nov 21 2012, 10:41 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 3996

QUOTE(sax @ Nov 20 2012, 02:25 PM) *
QUOTE(busyon1 @ Nov 20 2012, 08:10 AM) *
(Wed) 4PM Ateneo vs UST
Nov 23 2PM Ateneo vs SWU
Nov 25 2PM UST vs SWU

The common denominator in all of Ateneo's Final Four opponents: AFRICAN IMPORTS! WAKA WAKA!

Who'srunning the practices and who will be coaching the team?

+Quote Post
BLUE HORSE
post Nov 22 2012, 03:33 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 1512

Gabby Severino. Friday may be D'day. Abangan.

+Quote Post
let notion
post Nov 22 2012, 11:33 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 14730

QUOTE(BLUE HORSE @ Nov 22 2012, 03:33 AM) *

new coach?

+Quote Post
cortinahack
post Nov 22 2012, 03:51 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 9638

QUOTE(let notion @ Nov 22 2012, 11:33 AM) *
QUOTE(BLUE HORSE @ Nov 22 2012, 03:33 AM) *

new coach?

Yeah any update on who our new coach will be?

This post has been edited by cortinahack: Nov 24 2012, 05:58 PM

+Quote Post
busyon1
post Nov 23 2012, 10:22 AM
Post #13

I did not watch this game. I was at Loyola Heights to attend the final vows of Ateneo Grade School headmaster Father Kit Bautista. In the crowd was .... Father Dacanay.

Aftewards, I intentionally bumped into Father Dacanay and asked him, "why aren't you watching the PCCL?"

He answered, "Because I'm here." I was tempted to continue with "Father, isn't basketball more important?" But of course, that joke won't fly because basketball .... is only basketball.

I suppose the Ateneo is suffering from a let-down after the five-peat. The transition is happening now ... not after the season (PCCL marks the formal end) ..... and I don't get why Sandy, Jamike, the other coaches seem to have likewise vanished. Is this what happened? I haven't watched the replay .... I understand Balls Channel 34 will replay the game tomorrow (Saturday) morning. So I have no idea who coached and why we lost.

Anyway, there's a game this afternoon. I may just watch live.
It's thanksgiving day in the Huheshay.
The Ateneo has a lot to be thankful for.

Tigers, Lions target 2-0 PCCL lead
By Jasmine W. Payo
Philippine Daily Inquirer
11:50 pm | Thursday, November 22nd, 2012

University of Santo Tomas tries to take down another champion in San Beda in the Final Four of the Philippine Collegiate Champions League Friday at Filoil Flying V Arena in San Juan.

The Tigers—who conquered the five-time UAAP champion Ateneo Eagles the other day—clash with the Red Lions at 4 p.m., with both vying for a 2-0 edge in the round-robin semifinals.

“They’re a guard-based team so our guards have to work harder,” coach Pido Jarencio said of the first encounter between his Tigers and the three-time NCAA champion Lions this year.

Ateneo and Southwestern University, meanwhile, try to stay in contention for a title slot in the first game at 2 p.m.

Only the top two teams at the end of the round will advance to the best-of-three finals.

Jeric Teng sizzled with 22 points as the Tigers avenged their UAAP finals loss to the Blue Eagles, 76-66, last Wednesday to inch closer to their first championship stint in the nationwide tournament.

“It was a total team effort,” said Jarencio. “Right now, we’re just positive and confident.”

While the Tigers came out in full control, the Lions barely survived a tough challenge from the Cebu-based Cobras.

With luck on their side, the Lions pulled off a 73-72 escape when the Cobras failed to fire a potential game-winner before time ran out.

“Hopefully we’ll be able to match up with the other teams because they’re very sharp,” said San Beda coach Ronnie Magsanoc, noting that the Lions haven’t seen action since their title romp.

Jake Pascual led the Lions with 17 points and 12 rebounds, while Baser Amer collected 15 markers, five rebounds and six assists.

Nico Salva and Kiefer Ravena, who paced the Eagles with a combined 25 points, brace for a tough encounter against the Cobras, who will be led by Ben Mbala, the 17-year-old Cameroonian center who posted a game-high 27 points, seven rebounds and four blocks against the Lions.

+Quote Post
Blue sky
post Nov 23 2012, 12:53 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 3996

QUOTE(busyon1 @ Nov 23 2012, 02:22 AM) *
I did not watch this game. I was at Loyola Heights to attend the final vows of Ateneo Grade School headmaster Father Kit Bautista. In the crowd was .... Father Dacanay.

Aftewards, I intentionally bumped into Father Dacanay and asked him, "why aren't you watching the PCCL?"

He answered, "Because I'm here." I was tempted to continue with "Father, isn't basketball more important?" But of course, that joke won't fly because basketball .... is only basketball.

I suppose the Ateneo is suffering from a let-down after the five-peat. The transition is happening now ... not after the season (PCCL marks the formal end) ..... and I don't get why Sandy, Jamike, the other coaches seem to have likewise vanished. Is this what happened? I haven't watched the replay .... I understand Balls Channel 34 will replay the game tomorrow (Saturday) morning. So I have no idea who coached and why we lost.

Anyway, there's a game this afternoon. I may just watch live.
It's thanksgiving day in the Huheshay.
The Ateneo has a lot to be thankful for.

Tigers, Lions target 2-0 PCCL lead
By Jasmine W. Payo
Philippine Daily Inquirer
11:50 pm | Thursday, November 22nd, 2012

University of Santo Tomas tries to take down another champion in San Beda in the Final Four of the Philippine Collegiate Champions League Friday at Filoil Flying V Arena in San Juan.

The Tigers—who conquered the five-time UAAP champion Ateneo Eagles the other day—clash with the Red Lions at 4 p.m., with both vying for a 2-0 edge in the round-robin semifinals.

“They’re a guard-based team so our guards have to work harder,” coach Pido Jarencio said of the first encounter between his Tigers and the three-time NCAA champion Lions this year.

Ateneo and Southwestern University, meanwhile, try to stay in contention for a title slot in the first game at 2 p.m.

Only the top two teams at the end of the round will advance to the best-of-three finals.

Jeric Teng sizzled with 22 points as the Tigers avenged their UAAP finals loss to the Blue Eagles, 76-66, last Wednesday to inch closer to their first championship stint in the nationwide tournament.

“It was a total team effort,” said Jarencio. “Right now, we’re just positive and confident.”

While the Tigers came out in full control, the Lions barely survived a tough challenge from the Cebu-based Cobras.

With luck on their side, the Lions pulled off a 73-72 escape when the Cobras failed to fire a potential game-winner before time ran out.

“Hopefully we’ll be able to match up with the other teams because they’re very sharp,” said San Beda coach Ronnie Magsanoc, noting that the Lions haven’t seen action since their title romp.

Jake Pascual led the Lions with 17 points and 12 rebounds, while Baser Amer collected 15 markers, five rebounds and six assists.

Nico Salva and Kiefer Ravena, who paced the Eagles with a combined 25 points, brace for a tough encounter against the Cobras, who will be led by Ben Mbala, the 17-year-old Cameroonian center who posted a game-high 27 points, seven rebounds and four blocks against the Lions.

I agree Ravenna is right. This team is very competitive. We have a descent centre with a descent back up. The best front line and the wings are young but not totally inexperience. With clever coaching, a little luck, and a tighter rotation, it is a Final 4 caliber team. The players who never really got any kind of playing time with NB will not miss his system. I am confident the core of the team are good enough to make the adjustments. The death of this program is greatly exaggerated.

What I do not get is why it is taking so long to announce a coach. Watching Doug Kramer the other day talk about Coach Compton, I am convince that if Sandy does not want it, he'll be a very good choice. The players playing in the PCCL deserves the support because they are playing inspite of all the uncertainty.

if Fr. Jett has made up his mind and the anointed coach has accepted, the announcement has to be made. In what seems like a very competitive recruiting year, this program has to be defined and the new vision and path unfolded. The program is not broke, we have an Alumni ready, willing and able to assist, players who want to play. All we need now is a coach.

This post has been edited by Blue sky: Nov 23 2012, 12:59 PM

+Quote Post
busyon1
post Nov 23 2012, 01:15 PM
Post #15

Okay, over the rest of this morning, I scoured my sources. They say that Jamike Jarin left the game very early because of a Talk N Text game but Afable stayed. They say that the team did not take this game seriously. If a ragtag team can beat UST in the Unigames, how can a five-peat champion team lose by 10 points? That’s their take.

If we want to play in the finals, the game this afternoon is a must win. Moreover, a negative 10 will be hard to overcome in a quotient system.

I was told that the Ateneo is arranging for a P5,000 a plate Endowment Fund dinner. Maybe our officials are concerned with the package they can offer the new coach (je-je.)

Many things are percolating with Ateneo basketball. But for me, we follow the Norman Black template – whenever the Ateneo plays, it plays to win. Or else, don’t join. For the Blue Eagles 2012 version, I hope they end their stint as winners … specially the five graduating players. Seryosohin nila ang laro because excellence is a habit. One big fight, guys.

+Quote Post
busyon1
post Nov 23 2012, 04:38 PM
Post #16

Just got back from the Arena .... am watching the UST-San Beda game on TV. The Arena was populated only by die-hards .... but the Blue Babble (band) was around. Present were the entire coaching staff sans Coach Norman. Severino was shuffling the players while Sandy was patrolling the bench. Absent was Ryan Buenafe who (I understand) has D-League duties.

I had thought that SWU was a tough team because they were beaten only by 1 point by the NCAA Champs. In turns out that Adeogun did not play (injury.) And SWU had not one but two black imports who were both heftily built .... reminds me of Joe Johnson of the Hawks now transferred to the Nets. Both these guys were well-muscled, moved well and were athletic with good form on their shots.

The Blue Eagles started with Chua and Slaughter .... and the apparent rust after a long lay-off (which they exhibited against UST) was gone. The team hummed in offense and on defense. There were still five minutes left when the second Cameroonian also fouled out. We yelled, "wala na ba kayong import? Pasok pa niyo!"

The score does not reveal the physicality of the game. The Cebuanos played tough on the verge of dirty. There was a "sahod" foul on Gonzaga that was particularly dangerous and in truth, Ravena, Gonzaga and the buys retaliated in their own little ways. That's basketball.

Pessumal was given the minutes Buenafe usually commands and he played; the team played well as befits their five-peat pedigree. I would have wanted another defeat of Coach Pido but I heard the UST crowd out-numbered the Ateneo (last Wednesday) three-to-one.

So okay, Ateneo walloped SWU by a large margin .... the Ateneo almost reaching the century mark. I was smiling. After the game, courtside reporter Selena Dagdag called Slaughter for the post-game interview right in front of us. Before they turned on the camera, Selena already briefed Greg what she was going to ask. Aba, scripted pala!

Kidding aside, this was a good afternoon for Ateneo basketball. The eye of the tiger is back. The result of the San Beda-UST game is crucial (right now, second quarter, San Beda leads by 5.) We have to beat San Beda this Sunday with the quotient in play.

This post has been edited by busyon1: Nov 23 2012, 04:41 PM

+Quote Post
bluesoul
post Nov 23 2012, 06:10 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 4057

The Eagles played very well today. We still have a chance to beat UST in the finals if we beat San Beda on Sunday.
Let's make a repeat of the UAAP wherein UST won against us once and never again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

OBF!

I also hope Ateneo can decide on a new coach already. This has taken too much time, at the expense of our team.

+Quote Post
busyon1
post Nov 23 2012, 08:03 PM
Post #18

UST defeated San Beda 63-60. They make it to the finals. The Ateneo-San Beda "battle of the champs" will be a knock-out affair .... winner meets UST in a best-of-three (hey, that rhymes!)

Golla has been showing why we need him next season to complement Poy Erram. Points from him are purely bonus but he has the veteran smarts to patrol the lane. Kiefer tried a dunk ... but missed .... and Pessumal had his Scottie Pippen moment when he made a fantastic assist. Without Adeogun, Slaughter should be handling the ball a lot .... although I would've preferred competing against a full Red Lion line-up.

Ateneo beware. Wasn't this the team that notched a victory with only 6 players? And they made mince-meat of the Stags and forced Alas into resigning.

The Blue Eagles better bring their focus and championship heart in order to meet Coach Pido next week.

http://www.inboundpass.com/2012/11/23/pccl-2012-final-four-blue-eagles-rout-cobras/

PCCL 2012 Final Four: Blue Eagles rout Cobras
by inboundpass
Friday, 23 November 2012

Reigning UAAP 5-peat champions – the Ateneo Blue Eagles bounced back big after that awful loss against the UST Growling Tigers in the Final Four of Philippine Collegiate Champions League (PCCL ) 2012 on a November 23 afternoon.

The Blue Eagles massacred CESAFI reigning champion – Southwestern University, 96-78, to grab their first win in the single round robin format of the semifinals at the Arena in San Juan City.

Ateneo posted its biggest lead at 27 points after split free throws by Frank Golla in the 3:16 mark of the penultimate quarter.

Greg Slaughter reminded the Cobras that he was the former king of the Visayas legues as he tallied 18 points, including 4 monstrous dunks, while Kiefer Ravena and Nico Salva added 16 and 10 points apiece for the three-time PCCL champs.

“I gotta take up a little revenge for my other school,” the seven-footer center Slaughter said, who played for University of Visayas in the CESAFI several years ago. The UV Green Lancers lost a gruelling best-of-five series against SWU, 72-73, in the recently concluded CESAFI Finals.

But the Cobras managed to comeback, cutting the deficit down to just six points after a jumper by their Cameroonian center Justine Aboude, 62-76, with 7:51 remaining in the payoff period.

The Katipunan-based squad didn’t let the Cobras complete another comeback as they fired a 9-1 run punctuated by a three-point play from Slaughter.

“We played with more energy as compared to our last game and we controlled the rebounds well today so hopefully, we can continue this trend,” said by the interim head coach Gabby Severino.

Last Tuesday, November 20, the Blue Eagles were surprised by the Growling Tigers, as they were caught them napping and lost the match, 76-66, with a huge discrepancy in the rebounding department at 28-48.

Ateneo improved its record to 1-1 and scheduled to go up against the NCAA titlist San Beda Red Lions on Sunday, November 25, while the Cobras (0-2), will face UST.

ADMU – Slaughter 18, Ravena 16, Salva 10, Sumalinog 8, Gonzaga 8, Porter 7, Pessumal 6, Chua 6, Tiongson 6, Elorde 6, Golla 3, Capacio 2

SWU – Arong 17, Mbala 15, Guillena 12, Aboude 11, Ortuyo Jr. 10, Goloran 7, Bregondo 6

Quarter Scores: 23-12, 50-31, 72-55, 96-78

By AJ Bolando

+Quote Post
BLUE HORSE
post Nov 24 2012, 12:45 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 1512

Since the UAAP season ended, Gabby Severino has been handling the practices and coaching duties for ADMU. Jamike and Sandy make it a point to be present for practices and games provided there are no PBA conflicts. The team is a bit rusty as shown in the UST game because all of the returning players are at practice. The same can not be said for the seniors and Ryan who are playing in the D league. Also, Ryan and Justin play for different D league teams who do not practice at Moro.

There was a meeting last night but no announcement. Total news blackout out of Moro. Did Fr. Jett offer the job to somebody and waiting for a response from the coach? Is the contract the hang-up? The impatient fans are waiting for the news, para ma bash kung hindi gusto kung sino ang next coach! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
busyon1
post Nov 24 2012, 09:44 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(BLUE HORSE @ Nov 24 2012, 12:45 AM) *
There was a meeting last night but no announcement. Total news blackout out of Moro. Did Fr. Jett offer the job to somebody and waiting for a response from the coach? Is the contract the hang-up? The impatient fans are waiting for the news, para ma bash kung hindi gusto kung sino ang next coach! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Yup, I tried fishing for rumors yesterday from my sources and all I could get was "tonight." Apparently from Blue Horse, still nothing to announce.

A comment: leaks are useful. In the US, they often leak the names not only to gauge the popularity of the nominees but also to elicit the negatives and the skeletons. A leak can easily be denied. In the case of the Ateneo, playing it too close to the vest may not be wise.

Yesterday, my batchmate and I were very happy about the coaching. The coaches know this team and vice-versa. Oping Sumalinog makes a couple of lazy passes and he is pulled out, notwithstanding his good shooting. This familiarity with the winning formula made my batchmate and I wish for continuity .... sigh, Sandy would've made a good fit.

My friend said, " ... so with Sandy as coach, you would no longer criticize and lambaste him?"

I answered, "Sure .... for the first round. But if we're still losing in the second round, he'll hear it from me. That's the nature of the beast."

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 11:25 AM