Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Season 71 - The Blue Eaglets
Welcome to Atenista.Net! > Sports and Athletics > Ateneo Blue Eagles
Pages: 1, 2
busyon1
.... Ateneo is represented in basketball not only by the seniors team but also, by the ladies and the juniors .... perhaps more so, because I would think, given the lack of media exposure, glamour, logistics, adulation, these students are closer to the ideals of love of sports, love of alma mater ....

1993-94 Adamson University
1994-95 University of Santo Tomas
1995-96 Ateneo de Manila University
1996-97 University of Santo Tomas
1997-98 Ateneo de Manila University
1998-99 University of Santo Tomas
1999-2000 Ateneo de Manila University
2000-01 Ateneo de Manila University
2001-02 University of Santo Tomas
2002-03 UP Integrated School
2003-04 Ateneo de Manila University
2004-05 Ateneo de Manila University
2005-06 De La Salle Zobel
2006-07 Ateneo de Manila University
2007-08 De La Salle Zobel

.... the Eaglets have a rich tradition of excellence in basketball ... from Season 57 (1994) to Season 67 (2004) the Eaglets were ALWAYS in the finals ... we were bumped off one year but since then, we're starting another streak ...

.... we lost last year in a finals series where we were heavily favored and Coach Jamike received some criticism for the loss but hey, the high standards have been maintained and the high school program makes us proud ....

Blue Eaglets UAAP Bulletin #1: AHS beats NU, 101-38
date posted: 2008-07-09 16:07:17

In their first game in UAAP Season 71, the Ateneo de Manila High School Eaglets clobbered National University (NU), 101-38, in a match held at the Blue Eagle Gym on Wednesday, July 9. The game began at 2:00 p.m. and ended past 3:30.

The gap between the AHS and NU continued to widen from the first quarter to the last. At the end of the first quarter, the Eaglets were leading 27-1. At halftime, the score was 49-13 in favor of the Eaglets, a difference of 36 points. At the end of the 3rd quarter, AHS led by 54 points, with the score at 82-28. The final score of 101-38 had the AHS Blue Eaglets winning
by 63 points.

Ateneo Eaglets unbeaten like varsity elders

By Jasmine W. Payo
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 03:58:00 07/15/2008

MANILA, Philippines—Ateneo de Manila University sustained its winning run in the UAAP junior basketball competition as the Eaglets posted its second win to tie the defending champion De La Salle Zobel Junior Archers at the top.

Juami Tiongson shot 17 points, while Jayvee Dumrique nailed all seven attempts from the field for 16 points to lead the Eaglets past the Adamson Baby Falcons, 68-40, last Saturday at the Blue Eagle Gym.

The Eaglets had opened their campaign by crushing the NU Bullpups, 101-38.

Matthew Capacio shot 16 points and Nicolas Elorde added 14 to lift the Junior Archers in another big win, 85-42, over the University of the East Pages, following a 62-48 trampling of the Far Eastern University Baby Tamaraws.

In women’s play, University of the Philippines bested De La Salle University, 69-60, and University of Santo Tomas routed UE, 67-37, last Sunday to share top spot with 2-0 slates.

busyon1
JUNIORS' DIVISION
TEAMS W L
ADMU 3 0
DLSU 3 0
UST 3 0
UE 1 2
FEU 1 2
NU 0 3
UP 0 2
AdU 0 2

UAAP juniors: Young Capacio, Ravena emulate ex-pro dads

By Jasmine W. Payo
First Posted 04:05:00 07/22/2008

MANILA, Philippines—Sons of former pro cagers continued to shine in UAAP high school basketball as De La Salle Zobel, Ateneo de Manila University and University of Santo Tomas remained unbeaten over the weekend at the Blue Eagle Gym in Quezon City.

The Junior Archers coasted to their third straight triumph as Matthew Capacio—son of Far Eastern University varsity coach and former PBA player Glenn Capacio—collected 18 points, 10 rebounds and four steals to power the defending champions to an 84-47 blowout win over the National University Bullpups.

Kiefer Ravena, the clutch-shooting son of 1992 PBA top rookie Bong Ravena, starred for the Blue Eaglets by firing 12 of his 21 points from beyond the arc to lead last season’s runner-up to a 70-56 rout of the FEU Baby Tamaraws.

The UST Tiger Cubs also improved to 3-0 as Eduard Aytona drilled 22 points in a 62-57 win over the University of the East Pages.

In women’s play, University of the Philippines and FEU continued to set pace with 3-0 slates with the Lady Maroons nipping the UST Tigresses, 53-52, and the Lady Tamaraws routing the NU Lady Bulldogs, 50-31.
busyon1
Blue Eaglets UAAP Bulletin #2: AHS defeats Adamson, 68-40
date posted: 2008-07-12 11:03:17

In its second game in the current UAAP season, the Ateneo de Manila High School Eaglets beat Adamson, 68-40, last Saturday, July 12.

Blue Eaglets UAAP Bulletin #3: AHS wins over FEU, 70-56
date posted: 2008-07-21 08:06:44

The Ateneo de Manila High School Blue Eaglets won their third game in a row in round one of the current UAAP juniors basketball derby. Held last Saturday, July 19, game 3 had the Eaglets beating Far Eastern University (FEU), with the final score at 70-56.

In the first couple of minutes of the fourth quarter, the Ateneo enjoyed a lead of only one point. with the score at 48-47. With seven minutes left in the game, however, the Blue Eaglets continued to pulled away from the Baby Tamaraws, with a lead of 14 points at the end of the match. The game began at 3:00 p.m. and ended at 4:30 p.m.

The players of the Ateneo de Manila High School UAAP juniors basketball team are:

Jayvee Dumrique (team captain)
Andro Alonte
Dan Armena
Ael Banal
Al Bugarin
Tim Capacio
Chuckie Dumrique
Ivan Enriquez
Kevin Erazo
Kevin Gamboa
Paolo Pe
Von Pessumal
Kiefer Ravena
Ice Reyes
Paolo Romero
Juami Tiongson

Blue Eaglets UAAP Bulletin #4: AHS upsets UP, 76-29

date posted: 2008-07-23 09:21:51
By Paul Daza

In their 4th basketball game in the current UAAP season, the Ateneo de Manila High School Blue Eaglets defeated University of the Philippines, 76-29. The game began at 4:00 p.m. at the Loyola Blue Eagle Gym last Tuesday, July 22, and ended at 5:30 pm.

Reports say the highest scorer of the Eaglets was Ael Banal.

The win-loss card of the AHS stands at 4-0 thus far in UAAP 71. Last year, the Blue Eaglets won their first ten games, bowing only to UP in game 11 (round 2).
busyon1
.... heard that this was a poorly officiated game ... pati ba naman dito? ... but the cream will rise to the top ....

Blue Eaglets UAAP Bulletin #5: AHS squeaks past UST, 75-74

date posted: 2008-07-26 14:46:51
Report & photos by Willi Baclao

In their fifth game in the current UAAP Juniors Basketball season, the Ateneo de Manila High School Blue Eaglets won against the University of Santo Tomas (UST) Tiger Cubs by the narrowest margin since the season began...one point! Final score was 75-74 in favor of the Eaglets.

With 1.5 seconds to go, UST was given a chance to win the game when they were awarded a free-throw. Lucky for the AHS, the shot was a dud!

The exciting game was held at the Loyola Blue Eagle Gym on Saturday, July 26. It began at 1:00 p.m. and ended at 2:30 p.m.

busyon1
... this PM, two unbeaten teams face each other .... one is the defending champion .... the other has homecourt advantage ... will the Ateneo community "6th Man" make the difference? ...

Blue Eaglets UAAP Bulletin #6, AHS beats UE, 103-49
date posted: 2008-08-01 13:15:05

The Ateneo de Manila High School Blue Eaglets won their sixth game in a row in the current UAAP basketball season, beating University of the East (UE). The final score, which remains to be verified, was 103-49. The game was held in the Blue Eagle Gym on Wednesday, July 30, 2008.

Next up for the Blue Eaglets is the highly anticipated game against De La Salle Zobel (DLSZ) on Saturday, August 2, 3:00 p.m. at the Blue Eagle Gym. Like the AHS, DLSZ also has a 6-0 win-loss card thus far in UAAP 71.

Please support the Blue Eagles by watching the game. Heavy traffic is expected on Katipunan on Saturday, August 2, because of the UPCAT.

busyon1
…. my first time to watch the Eaglets this season … also first time in the campus for this school year … was shocked to see the Ateneo Blue Eagle players greeting everyone at gate 2 …. eight foot pictures of each of the Eagles peek out from the acacia trees lining the road ….

…… for the princely sum of P30, one could enter and seat himself anywhere in the Blue Eagle Gym … except maybe in a row of seats at ringside which was wet …. because of the leaking roof ….

….. VL Salle beat Ateneo 77-74 in a first round clash of unbeaten teams … the Junior Archers are defending champs …. Jollibee champ … and seem determined to defend their crown … they are a solid team this year ….

…. in the first half, Ateneo was shadowing their no 9 (Elorde) but in the 2nd half, parang tinamad ang defense and this player burned us …

….. IMO, the story of the game was the slow reaction of the coach to adjust to the reality of the game … we led in the first quarter and the first half, but just barely …. three points.

… the Eaglets were employing a zone defense (so did the Archers) but the Archers were converting a good portion of their three point attempts …. in the third quarter, a spate of traveling calls by referee no 14 allowed VL Salle to take the lead … and still Ateneo stuck to its ineffective zone defense which was loose …. allowed open looks which VL Salle took advantage off…

… in the fourth quarter, the lead ballooned to 16 … only then with 5 minutes to go, did Coach Jamike called for a press … and in a pulsating stretch, with steals and fastbreak points, that lead was trimmed to 6 points a minute to go … and then down to three courtesy of a three shot …

…. time down to 29 seconds, VL Salle nursed a lead of 2 points but their possession … then Ateneo fouls Elorde …. WHY? …. just a decent defense and we would’ve gotten the ball back with a chance to tie ….

…. I understand our star player this year is no. 10 J Dumrique … he must’ve had an off-day because he was sluggish … and kept committing errors … forcing passes inside when our bigs couldn’t handle the ball ….

…. based on the records, the Eaglets should meet VL Salle in the finals … but VL Salle is still in the running for an undefeated season which will award it with a thrice to beat advantage ….

….. even in year’s past, I had noted that Coach Jamike sticks to his game plan no matter what …. very slow to adjust to the flow of the game …. if Ateneo wants to grab the crown from the arch-enemy, he’d better adjust ….

… I have high hopes though that this team can go all the way …. again ….
Jeep_ni_Mang_Emong
haven't been here in a while. i figure i can rant and rave here more than in the other forums. mad.gif

been frustrating watching the eaglets allow slash after slash, drive after drive, that the enemy made. terrible. like there was no fire in their bellies. seems like this is what's missing in today's eaglets, none of the chutzpah, the anger, the resolve, that i saw and loved in the eaglets of even just a couple of years ago -- the eaglets of bacon austria, mike gamboa, carlo balmaceda, alec rivera, and enzo katipunan.

the talent is there, the thinking. juami and kiefer are very smart players and together have more gray matter than the entire opposing team combined. but the heart -- that's what appears to be missing among them today. to allow your opponent, especially this opponent, to run roughshod all over you -- in your own home at that -- speaks volumes about your lack of heart and resolve. this is the homecourt, boys, you should be playing your best here!

i hope, and i am certain, that this will wake you up. and i am sure you will even the score in the next round with these green turds.

ONE BIG FIGHT!!!! mad.gif
Loyolalista
QUOTE(Jeep_ni_Mang_Emong @ Aug 3 2008, 07:36 AM) *
haven't been here in a while. i figure i can rant and rave here more than in the other forums. mad.gif

been frustrating watching the eaglets allow slash after slash, drive after drive, that the enemy made. terrible. like there was no fire in their bellies. seems like this is what's missing in today's eaglets, none of the chutzpah, the anger, the resolve, that i saw and loved in the eaglets of even just a couple of years ago -- the eaglets of bacon austria, mike gamboa, carlo balmaceda, alec rivera, and enzo katipunan.

the talent is there, the thinking. juami and kiefer are very smart players and together have more gray matter than the entire opposing team combined. but the heart -- that's what appears to be missing among them today. to allow your opponent, especially this opponent, to run roughshod all over you -- in your own home at that -- speaks volumes about your lack of heart and resolve. this is the homecourt, boys, you should be playing your best here!

i hope, and i am certain, that this will wake you up. and i am sure you will even the score in the next round with these green turds.

ONE BIG FIGHT!!!! mad.gif

busyon1
... think we can agree that the potential for a championship is there ... as there always is with the Blue Eaglets ... great skills, athleticism and quickness .....

.... I will however dispute, with all due respect because we're all on the same side here, the observation that there might've been a lack of spirit in the team .... else, how can you explain that when they were let loose by the coach ... away from a tepid zone into a full court press, they were able to claw almost all the way back from a 16 point deficit? ... in just five minutes? ...

..... this is high school basketball ... in fact, in university sports, the coach plays a very large part in the success of the program ... check that, even in the NBA, the coach is normally the first one to bear the brunt of failure (recent example: Suns) ...

.... yesterday, Coach Jamike was monolithic ... he chose to play zone when the VL Sallites were shooting the lights out ... he chose to play set-up when it was clear that JV Dumrique was off and his boys were lapsing into a spate of errors, compounded by no.14 calling a slew of travelling calls ... then in the last play, they fouled VL Salle when Elorde wasn't even in the process of shooting ... which leads me to believe that it was dictated by the bench ... a fatal error ...

... last year, I thought we should've beaten VL Salle for the championship had it not been for poor coaching in the last few minutes ... in 2002 against UP-IS, again we had a superior team but lost the finals on poor coaching IMO ...

.... therefore, I have full confidence in the animo of our players ... I hope the coaching staff ADJUSTS .... because adjustment is the name of the coaching game ...
[size="2"][/size]
busyon1
.... Archers threaten a sweep and it looks like we're the only ones standing in their way ... hope our coaching staff develop a better plan to play them .....

http://sports.inquirer.net/inquirersports/...-jr-first-round

Elorde shines as DLS-Zobel sweeps UAAP jr first round

By Jasmine W. Payo
First Posted 04:24:00 08/05/2008

MANILA, Philippines—A scion of a legendary boxer shone as La Salle Zobel knocked out fierce rival Ateneo to sweep the first round of the UAAP junior basketball competition over the weekend at the Blue Eagle Gym.

Nico Elorde, the 16-year-old grandson of all-time local boxing great Gabriel “Flash” Elorde, played a brilliant all-around game to power the Junior Archers past the Eaglets in a 77-74 victory that stretched their unbeaten run to seven games.

Elorde, a 5-foot-9 point guard, pumped in 12 of his 24 points from beyond the arc aside from collecting 11 rebounds, five assists and one block as the Junior Archers dealt the Eaglets’ first loss.

Luigi dela Paz also helped the Junior Archers pull off the feat with 15 points, nine boards and five assists.

A junior high school student, the youngest son of boxing promoters Johnny and Liza is the only Elorde to cross over to basketball. His older brothers Bai and Mig are also into pro boxing.

The Eaglets, who settled at solo second with a 6-1 card, leaned on sophomore standout Kiefer Ravena and Juami Tiongson.

Ravena, the son of former PBA Rookie of the Year Bong Ravena, fired 22 points, while Tiongson added 21 markers and nine rebounds for last season’s runner-up.

University of Santo Tomas, Far Eastern University and Adamson University wound up tied at 4-3, followed by National University at 2-5, University of the East at 1-6, while University of the Philippines remained winless in seven games.

FEU also completed a 7-0 sweep in women’s action after the Lady Tamaraws held on to a 51-50 escape over the Lady Archers Sunday at the Blue Eagle Gym.
busyon1
.... hearing this, I was shocked .... how can a team we beat by 14 in the first round turn the tables on us? ... well, they must have scouted us well ..... or maybe the coaching staff did not adjust ... Anton Montinola and Mark Molina must be happy that they sang the alma mater song AFTER their FEU song ....

.... I did not see the game myself so no further comment .... except to note that VL Salle is still undefeated and I was hoping that we will derail their bid for the thrice to beat advantage and to wrest the crown from them altogether ....

.... Jamike and the coaches have their job cut out for them .... OBF!

Blue Eaglets Bulletin #8: Eaglets bow to baby Tamaraws, 90-87
date posted: 2008-08-11 09:11:31

The Ateneo de Manila High School Blue Eaglets lost to the Far Eastern University's baby Tamaraws in a tense match at the Blue Eagle gym last Saturday, August 9. The game began at 2:50 p.m. and ended at 5:15 pm because it went into double overtime.

The score was at 73-73 at 4:20 pm. With less than a second to go, an FEU player took a shot which went in after the buzzer sounded. It took the referees 20 minutes to decide that the shot would not be counted, forcing the game into its first overtime.

Final score was 90-87, with the Baby Tamaraws winning against the Blue Eaglets after losing to them in game 3 of UAAP 71 last July 19. Back then, the score was 70-56 in favor of the Eaglets.
busyon1
... the article below (underscoring mine) reports that VL Salle lost its unblemished state and hence the automatic finals berth .... the Eaglets in the meantime stopped its two-game losing skid by butchering NU .... maybe the new shoes from Henry Sy haven't reached the Bull Pups yet .... JV Dumrique played well .... he didn't during the last VL Salle encounter ....

.... our team is on track for the finals .... again!

Baby Falcons stop Junior Archers’ streak

By Jasmine W. Payo
First Posted 05:57:00 08/14/2008

MANILA, Philippines—Mark Juruena knocked in the game-winner in the final 30 seconds as Adamson University halted La Salle Zobel’s unbeaten run by the slimmest of margins, 72-71, in the 71st UAAP junior basketball competition Tuesday at the Blue Eagle Gym.

Juruena finished with 20 points for the Baby Falcons in the upset win that ended the defending champion Junior Archers’ eight-game winning roll.

Despite the setback, the Junior Archers remained solo on top at 8-1, while the Baby Falcons grabbed a share of third place with the Far Eastern University Baby Tamaraws at 6-3.

Skipper Jayvee Dumrique and Ivan Enriquez also starred for Ateneo de Manila University by combining for 29 points to lead the Blue Eaglets to a 109-60 crushing of the National University Bullpups.

The Eaglets, who recovered from back-to-back losses against the Junior Archers and the Baby Tamaraws, kept second place with a 7-2 record.

busyon1
Blue Eaglets Bulletin # 9: AHS beats NU Bullpups, 109-60
date posted: 2008-08-13 10:50:44

In their round 2 matchup in the morning of Tuesday, August 12, the Ateneo de Manila High School Blue Eaglets beat the National University (NU) Bullpups by 49 points. The game, which began at 10:00 am, was held in the Loyola Blue Eagle Gym. The highest scorers for the game were Jayvee Dumrique and Ivan Enriquez.

The victory over NU marks an end to a two-game losing streak which plagued the Eaglets, beginning with game 7 against De La Salle Zobel's Junior Archers and game 8 against FEU's Baby Tamaraws.

The AHS' win-loss card thus far in UAAP 71 junior basketball stands at 7-2, which is second to De La Salle Zobel's 8-1.

Blue Eaglets Bulletin #10: AHS clobbers UST cubs, 93-72
date posted: 2008-08-16 17:05:38
By Paul Daza; File Photos by Willi Baclao

The Ateneo de Manila Blue Eaglets defeated the University of Santo Tomas Tiger Cubs in their UAAP round two match-up last Saturday, August 16, at the Loyola Blue Eagle Gym. The game began shortly before 3:00 pm and ended at 4:25 pm, with AHS winning by 21 points... the final score was 93-72. This was a big improvement over their round one encounter in which the AHS won by only one point.

The Eaglets, however, didn't enjoy a wide berth all the way. UST actually led in the first couple of minutes of the first quarter. And with less than one minute to go in the second quarter, Ateneo was leading by only a single point, when the score was at 37-36.

The Eaglets' next game will be against University of the East. The game will be held at the Loyola Blue Eagle gym on Saturday, August 23, at 11:00 a.m.
busyon1
Blue Eaglets Bulletin #11: AHS leaves UE in the dust, 98-40
date posted: 2008-08-23 13:02:44

The Ateneo de Manila High School Blue Eaglets clobbered the University of the East Red Warriors in their round two face off last Saturday, August 23. The game, the 11th for the Eaglets in UAAP 71, was held at the Loyola Blue Eagle Gym. It began at 11:00 a.m. and ended at 12 noon. Final score was 98-40, a difference of 58 points.

From start to finish, the game belonged to the Blue Eaglets. Not once did UE take the lead. The score at the end of the first quarter was 26-10 in favor of the Blue and White. Half time score was 51-20, with AHS leading by thirty-one points. By the end of the third quarter, Ateneo was leading by 53 points, when the score was 81-28.

UE averaged 10 points per quarter, while the AHS averaged 24 points per quarter.

In their round one encounter (game #6), the Ateneo Juniors beat UE, 103-49, a difference of 54 points.
busyon1
Blue Eaglets Bulletin #12: AHS clobbers UP, 115-28
date posted: 2008-08-27 09:42:24
Reported by Jong Sumpaico

The Ateneo de Manila High School Blue Eaglets clobbered the University of the Philippines Junior Maroons in their round two clash last Tuesday, August 26, at the Loyola Blue Eagle Gym. The final score was 115-28 in favor of the Blue and White, a difference of 87 points.

The Eaglets played the game, their twelfth in UAAP 71, just hours after their first day of exams for the first grading period at the AHS. The game began just before 4:00 pm and ended at 5:30 pm.

AHS averaged almost 29 points per quarter, while UP averaged 7 points per quarter.

The Ateneo Juniors' next game will be this Saturday, August 30, at the Loyola Blue Eagle Gym. They will play against Adamson at 12:45 p.m.

standings as of aug 23 (prior to above game) ...

LS Zobel 10-1
Ateneo 9-2
Adamson 7-4
FEU-Fern 7-4
UST 6-5
NU 3-8
UE 2-9
UPIS 0-11
busyon1
Blue Eaglets Bulletin # 13: Eaglets pluck Baby Falcons' feathers, 84-51
date posted: 2008-09-02 12:42:22

Game 13 of the current UAAP Juniors basketball season was lucky for the Ateneo Blue Eaglets, but unlucky for the Adamson Baby Falcons.

Last Saturday, August 30, the Ateneo de Manila High School UAAP basketball team beat the boys from Adamson in their round two confrontation. Final score was 84-51 in favor of the blue and white, a difference of 33 points.

The game was held at the Loyola Blue Eagle Gym, beginning at 12:55 p.m. and ending at 2:30 p.m.

In their round one game last July 12, the Blue Eaglets won by 28 points over the Baby Falcons, the final score being 68-40.
busyon1
VL Salle Junior Archers ........ 12 ... 1
Ateneo Blue Eaglets ............ 11 ... 2
FEU-FERN Baby Tamaraws ... 9 .... 4
Adamson Baby Falcons ........ 8 .... 5
UST Tiger Cubs .................... 7 .... 6
NU Bullpups ........................ 3 .... 10
UE Red Pages ..................... 2 .... 11
UPIS Junior Maroons ........... 0 .... 13

"Green Saturday"

Saturday - September 6, 2008
9 AM - UP vs. UE
11 AM - DLSZ vs. ADMU
1 PM - UST vs. FEU
3 PM - Adamson vs. NU

Without a ticket for Araneta? .... may be worth watching the Eaglets defeat the Archers in the morning (at the Blue Eagle Gym) to force a tie for first ...... and then troop to Moro Lorenzo to watch the Eagles force a tie for second .....
busyon1
.... no ticket rained down from heaven for me .... and I would never shell out thousands for the Big Dome ... so had to content myself with a preview of Ateneo-VL Salle .... the mini-version ..... watched the game at the Blue Eagle Gym .... great value for money at P30 - seat anywhere!

The animosity este rivalry of the two schools extends to the secondary level.

During the half-time, Ateneo went beyong its 5 minute allocation. While they were still on the court, the VL Sallite cheerleaders had already entered and commenced their routine. The Ateneo Babble insisted on continuing … one up-manship pa rin. (Either that or it was a unity yell … at any rate, I didn’t get it.)

I’m pleased to report that Ateneo beat VL Salle. It was a thorough thrashing by the Eaglets over the Junior Archers. In the first quarter alone, Ateneo employed a tight full court press that provoked numerous turnovers, building a double digit lead. In the second quarter and for the rest of the game, Coach Jamike ordered a “box and 1” …. with somebody closely guarding their star guard Elorde (no 9.) First it was J. Dumrique … then it was C. Dumrique. They must be brothers. These two probably spent the whole night casting spells on Elorde. In the second half, it was our Reyes who alternated in guarding Elorde. There was some pushing, some warnings from the referees.

The Atenean son of basketball pro Bong Ravena (Kiefer Ravena) is very good. He could penetrate defenses at will. Our big men – Enriquez and Bugarin – were recipients of sharp assists. VL Salle however kept clawing back. They threatened a couple of times but never tied the game.

(In fact, thinking about about it, the script of the juniors game almost exactly followed the script of the seniors game. Coincidence?)

With the final score of 69-65, we toppled them from their lofty perch and now, we have the twice to beat advantage going into the final four plus we avenged our first round defeat.

I was just thinking that while our current players are good, athletic, smart ….. because of the high standards of the senior game, they would be hard-pressed to be included in team A unless they grew more. Maybe the Ateneo team can add “cheri-fer” to their vitamin supplement ….. or those drugs on home shopping TV that promised to add inches to their height.

By the way, the Ateneo High School massacred the VL Salle baseball team at the Ateneo fields just prior to the Seniors game. It was a trifecta of victories over that school where it's hard to park.

Blue Eaglets Bulletin #14: AHS trumps DLSZ, 69-64
date posted: 2008-09-06 13:04:40
By Paul Y. Daza

In their round two clash on Saturday, September 6, the Ateneo de Manila High School Blue Eaglets finally won against their arch rival, the De La Salle Zobel (DLSZ) Green Archers, in a tense and exciting match held at the Loyola Blue Eagle Gym. Final score was 69-64 in favor of the Blue and White at the UAAP 71 Juniors basketball game which began at 10:50 a.m. and ended at 12:30 p.m.

In their round one, game 7 match-up, AHS lost to DLSZ by 3 points. Game 14's final score had Ateneo High School winning by 5 points.

De La Salle Zobel took the lead in the first few minutes of the game, but halfway into the first quarter, AHS took the lead and never looked back. The first quarter ended with Ateneo leading by 9 points, with the score at 23-14. Half time score was 38-27, with the Eaglets leading by 11 points. The third quarter ended with the Blue & White leading by 9 points, with the score at 53-44.

Among those sighted watching the well-attended game were Ateneo de Manila University President Fr. Bienvenido F. Nebres, SJ; AHS Associate Principal for Formation (ApFor) Fr. Eli Rowdy Y. Lumbo, SJ; Associate Principal for Academic Affairs (APAA) Bernie Santos; and Associate Principal for Student Affairs (APSA) Leonardo Balmaceda, Jr.

The victory against DLSZ is the sixth victory in a row for the Blue Eaglets in UAAP 71:

Game 9 AHS vs. NU, 109-60
Game 10 AHS vs. UST, 93-72
Game 11 AHS vs. UE, 98-40
Game 12 AHS vs. UP, 115-28
Game 13 AHS vs AdU, 84-51
Game 14 AHS vs. DLSZ, 69-64

Playoffs begin this Wednesday, September 10.
busyon1
..... my bad ... I had thought that ties will be broken via play-offs but in the Juniors ... quotients were applied ...

.... hence, the Ateneo topped the elimination round and thus acquired a twice-to-beat advantage against Adamson (refer below) ...

..... I understand the games will be this Saturday (Sept. 13) at the Arena (San Juan) ..... Erap country ....

..... Ateneo-Adamson at 3PM with games preceding (meaning the start-up time should be earlier) ....

.... please note that VL Salle and FEU also tangle .... a mirror of the Seniors ....

..... I personally think that the high school - less contaminated by gambling, spurious officiating, athlete-students - is a better reflection of genuine university sports ....... and am therefore quite proud that the Ateneo has consistently excelled at this level ....

..... these young men are great representatives of the Ateneo .... and equally deserve our support ......

Elimination round
.....Team ..............................W .............. L ............. PCT ......... GB ...........Tie
Ateneo Blue Eaglets ............... 12 ............ 2 ............ .857 ........ -- ............ +2
La Salle Junior Archers ........... 12 ........... 2 ............ .857 ........ -- ............ -2
FEU-FERN Baby Tamaraws ...... 9 ........... 5 ........... .642 ........ 3 ............ +10
Adamson Baby Falcons .......... 9 ........... 5 ........... .642 ........ 3 ............ -10
busyon1
Blue Eaglets (game #2) defeat Adamson, 68-40
Blue Eaglets (game# 13) pluck Baby Falcons' feathers, 84-51

.... mis-match? .... one never knows .... because this is basketball .... and it's the 13th .... and Adamson (I think, not sure) handed VL Salle a loss this season ....

...... Ateneo-Adamson 3PM game at the San Juan Arena today (but come early because the game will probably start earlier) .......

.... the Arena is well air-conditioned and I think (not sure) that parking is already available at the park in front of the parking building (entry via Pinaglabanan Street near the church) ......... unlike the Big Dome, no problem with tickets ....

.... the Ateneo community should enjoy this Season 71 as we are well-represented by these hard-working young men .....
Blue_Blazer_10
Ateneo Back in the Finals, FEU-FERN Shocks Zobel in 2-OT's
Written by jonas_terrado
Saturday, September 13, 2008 5:40:00 PM

Ateneo de Manila High School made easy work of Adamson High School, 78-45, to make a return trip to the finals in the 71st UAAP juniors basketball Final Fouir at The Arena in San Juan.

The Blue Eaglets, who are seeking to reclaim the title they last won in 2006, led from start to finish as Juami Tiongson scored 20 points and six rebounds on 7-of-11 shooting while Jayvee Dumrique added 13 points, nine rebounds, four assists and four steals.

On the other hand, FEU-Nicanor Reyes Education Foundation stunned reigning champion De La Salle Zobel, 72-70, in double overtime behind the heroics of Arwin Albano, who scored 20 points and grabbed seven boards.

“Pagdating kasi sa finals eh iba na ang laro so we just gonna enjoy the win and work hard and whoever we faced well just do our best,” said Ateneo head coach Jamike Jarin, who steered the Loyola-based cagers to its 10th finals appearance in 11 seasons as coach.

Ateneo dominated the Baby Falcons as they held their top player Mark Juruena, a 16-year old, fourth-year rookie, to just 11 points and 16 rebounds after he averaged 20.3 points and 13.6 rebounds during the eliminations.

“That was our gameplan, to stop Mark Juruena,” said Ateneo head coach Jamike Jarin, who steered the Loyola-based cagers to its 10th finals appearance in his 11 seasons as coach. “I think he’s going to win the MVP.”

Nicolo Alcantara topscored for Adamson with 12 points and four rebounds in a losing effort.

Albano sent the game to a first overtime when he made a basket for FEU-FERN with 3.3 seconds remaining for a 55-55 score then made three foul shots after a foul on Anton Sevilla with 3.1 ticks left that tied it at 63-63 as the game went into a second extra period.

A 5-11, third-year standout, Albano continued his heroics by converting a triple and a basket that gave FEU-FERN a 68-63 advantage with 3:08 left, only for DLSZ to storm back and cut the lead to a point, 71-70, on a two foul shots by Nico Elorde.

After Albano converted a single freethrow, Zobel failed to pushed the contest to a third OT as Gwynne Capacio missed a basket inside at the last second to secure the Baby Tamaraws’ win.

“He had a big heart but if not for all of his teammates he wouldn’t have a good game,” FEU-FERN head coach Horacio Lim mentioned of Albano.

“I give all the credit to the boys, I told them we should play as a team,” said Lim, who took over as head coach this season from now UP seniors basketball assistant Potit de Vera. “Offensively, kulang kami compared sa La Salle Zobel but I told them we have to play good defense and it worked credit goes to the boys.”

Capacio, one of the frontrunners in the MVP race and the son of current FEU seniors basketball coach Glenn Capacio, led the Junior Archers with 22 points and 12 rebounds as they held a 49-41 lead in the fourth period only to lose it in regulation.

Ridge Santos and Elorde, grandson of boxing legend Gabriel “Flash” Elorde, each made 16 points as Luigi de la Paz was held to just nine points on 4-for-10 shooting before fouling out.

DLSZ and FEU-FERN meets on Wednesday at 3pm at The Arena for the second finals berth.

********************************************************************************

Hopefully, after the Men's Basketball games tomorrow, the headline will be similar...

Ateneo cruising to the Finals while De La Salle and FEU will battle each other one more time on Do-or-Die Thursday.

Congratulations Blue Eaglets! ONE BIG FIGHT!!!

busyon1
... as we passed through the corridors of Arena (in San Juan) ... past the many posters featuring the face of JV Ejercito .... we bumped into Larry Fonacier and his barkada .... I guess he was there still supporting his alma mater and his coach .....

.... remember that Larry won a couple of juniors championships under Coach Jamike Jarin (and a juniors MVP) .... Coach Jamike has tallied 11 years as coach ... has piloted the team 10 times to the finals, won 6 titles .... love him or hate him, one can't argue with the numbers ....

... we also bumped into the parents of our players .... and they were encouraging us to bring more Ateneans to the junior games .... they correctly noted that VL Salle has a consistent core of fans supporting their defending champs .... in spite of the venue (Blue Eagle Gym) which is Ateneo territory ....

.... saw Glenn Capacio watching FEU play the team of his son who's a VL Salle star ... saw Ely Capacio watching his Atenean son clog the lane with his bulk ... saw Joel Banal watching his Atenean son display a sweet shooting touch ....

.... Hector Tablizo (that Adamson die-hard who's a constant fixture at Adamson tickets .... how he secures his ringside tickets, even at the Big Dome, I don't know ...) was behind the Adamson bench ... in the first quarter, he started yelling and gesticulating (which is his usual style) .... Coach Jing Ruiz of Adamson tells him to sit down! .... natawa kami ....

.....elongated blue balloons were distributed to the crowd .... on the Adamson side (apart from the band and cheerleaders,) I could count 4 spectators and three of those were hot dog vendors ....

.... the game was a laffer .... it was a walk in the park with Ateneo leading 99% of the game (Adamson only led 2-0 in the first thirty seconds ... then it was the blue juggernaut all the way) .... all 16 players were fielded in .... the lead was so large, it gave me a headache computing ... in the end, I gave up (mahina ako sa Calculus ....)

.... one comment: very often, the players were distracted by Coach Jamike as he signalled or yelled plays, every single play or possession ... sa totoo lang, Adamson was able to steal the ball because our player was trying to decipher what the coach wanted ....

.... special mention to Juami Tiongson, JV Dumrique, Banal, Pessumul, Enriquez and Bugarin for their solid performances .... Kiefer Ravena had a bad game .... too many errors ....

.... the team displayed stingy defense ... by the end of the third quarter, Adamson had only scored 23 points ... they really clamped down on the ball distribution .... by employing a tough press, then a box and 1, then an extended zone.

.... the Arena has great air-conditioning and because of the lop-sidedness of the score, it was tempting to doze off ...

.... actually, all the excitement was generated by the first game ... by the double overtime upset of FEU over VL Salle ... Anton Montinola was grinning widely as FEU came from behind to tie the score in regulation, again battled in the overtime .... then led by 6 points with two minutes left but allowed VL Salle chances to crawl back ... but was finally able to secure the win which extended their series to a knock-out game this Wednesday ...

.... Ateneo will meet the winner of this game this Saturday, also at the Arena .... so how about it guys? ..... for a P100 ticket, that's great value for money ....

UAAP JUNIORS: Eaglets enter championship

By Jasmine W. Payo
First Posted 00:48:00 09/14/2008

MANILA, Philippines—Ateneo easily captured the first UAAP juniors championship berth, while Far Eastern University forged a knockout contest against defending champion La Salle Zobel in the Final Four of the high school basketball competition yesterday at The Arena in San Juan.

The Blue Eaglets, last year’s runners-up and this season’s top seeds, hammered out a 78-45 rout of the Adamson Baby Falcons to book their third straight Finals stint.

Banking on the heroics of Arwin Albano, the third-seeded Tamaraws nipped the Junior Archers 72-70 in double overtime to push the series to a do-or-die contest on Wednesday.

In women’s play, both Adamson and University of the Philippines pulled off upsets to force winner-take-all battles on Wednesday.

Amby Almazan completed a three-point play in the closing minutes to lift the Lady Falcons to a 57-56 escape over the top-ranked Lady Tamaraws.

Fatima Tolentino paced a balanced charge with 14 points as the Lady Maroons stunned the UST Tigresses in a 52-39 decision.

The 5-foot-11 Albano unloaded six of the Baby Tamaraws’ nine points in the second extension after knocking the game-tying buckets both in regulation and in the first extra period.

“He never played this kind of ball game, he played with a big heart,” said FEU coach Horacio Lim of Albano. “But credit also goes to the rest of the team for putting up a good defense.”

The senior guards paced the Eaglets with Juami Tiongson firing 20 points and Jayvee Dumrique adding 13 markers, nine rebounds and four steals.

The scores:

First Game (Jrs)

FEU 72—Albano 20, Santiago 15, Almario 14, Escoto 12, Tolomia 8, Bautista 3, Talavera 0, Buco 0, Infante 0, Managuelod 0, Pardo 0.

LA SALLE ZOBEL 70—Capacio 22,Santos 16, Elorde 16, Dela Paz 9, Herrera 4, Ramos 3, Sevilla 0, Fortuna 0, Hernandez 0, Andaya 0, Pardo 0.

Quarters: 11-17, 26-30, 39-39, 55-55 (reg), 63-63 (1OT), 72-70 (2OT)

Second Game (Jrs)

ATENEO 78—Tiongson 20, Dumrique 13, Banal 8, Pessumal 7, Ravena 5, Pe 4, Capacio 4, Bugarin 4, Enriquez 4, Gamboa 3, Armena 2, Dumrique 2, Reyes 2, Erazo 0, Romero 0, Alonte 0.

ADAMSON 45—Alcantara 12, Juruena 11, Maderazo 6, Dix 6, Vitug 5, Dalisay 2, Catada 2, Huges 1, Gamban 0, Capacio 0, Bantayan 0, Abaigar 0, Deloreno 0.

Quarters: 21-11, 35-17, 57-23, 78-45
cnote
when will the juniors finals start? will they be holding it on sunday also?
ajbt
QUOTE(cnote @ Sep 14 2008, 10:29 PM) *

maybe we can suggest to the powers that be to hold the juniors finals before the seniors. I noticed there is only one game on Sunday. If we have to be there three hours early to get a seat, might as well have the juniors as well. Can you imagine if Zobel makes it to the finals. Ateneo VL Salle Juniors and Seniors back to back. Ang saya niyan.
BLUE HORSE
QUOTE(ajbt @ Sep 15 2008, 03:36 AM) *
QUOTE(cnote @ Sep 14 2008, 10:29 PM) *

maybe we can suggest to the powers that be to hold the juniors finals before the seniors. I noticed there is only one game on Sunday. If we have to be there three hours early to get a seat, might as well have the juniors as well. Can you imagine if Zobel makes it to the finals. Ateneo VL Salle Juniors and Seniors back to back. Ang saya niyan.

Don't hold your breath because you are asking to much from the UAAP leaders. The UAAP leaders love the money that will roll in thanks to the epic match-up. But having the juniors of both schools playing at Araneta is another. I know pahirapan sa tickets but the UAAP board has always claimed that the UAAP is more than DLSU and ADMU alone. Besides, if the juniors are part of the mens finals, how do you explain the snub to the womens teams holding their own final 4.
busyon1
.... I have a Nostradamus crystal ball .... one made in France and not China .... Chinese crystal balls - the ones used in Binondo - are far more accurate ... these can predict not only the winners but the point spreads with amazing accuracy ... but I bought my crystal ball because it was "on sale" ....

.... this crystal ball had predicted that a defending champion would fall this season 71 .... it also showed Anton Montinola singing twice during the finals ... but he was singing "Win or lose, it's the school we Tiu's" first before he sang the FEU alma mater song ....

.... so I thought that my crystal ball was predicting an FEU ouster of Pumaren in the semis .... which would usher in an Ateneo-FEU Finals series .... where we will emerge victorious ...

.... but VL Salle had ousted FEU .... and I was about to auction this crystal ball on E-bay .... but wait ...

.... this afternoon, FEU had just dethroned VL Salle in the juniors .... 58-56 .... and Anton Montinola was present, smiling broadly as finally, FEU upended the higher ranked Archers ....

.... and the FEU Baby Tamaraws will be meeting the Ateneo Blue Eaglets for the finals .... this Saturday, 3PM at the Arena (San Juan) ....

.... so my crystal ball stays ....
busyon1
.... attached excerpt from newspapers today ....

.... hey, the Lady Tamaraws are also in the finals (against UP) .... that means that FEU's cheering squads will be out in full force to support the campaigns of their ladies and juniors ..... will the Ateneo be out-cheered? ....

..... no ticket problems in this venue ....

..... Saturday, the Arena, 3PM ......

Stars welcome marquee duel

Baby Tams to face Eaglets

By Jasmine W. Payo
First Posted 04:42:00 09/18/2008

Far Eastern University, though, spoiled another dream showdown between the elite rivals in the high school basketball competition.

The Baby Tamaraws arranged a championship battle against the Blue Eaglets after nipping the defending champion Junior Archers in a 58-56 upset in their Final Four knockout match Wednesday at The Arena in San Juan City.

Chris Tolomia fueled a fourth-quarter run to finish with 13 points, nine rebounds and four assists as the Baby Tamaraws overcame the Junior Archers’ twice-to-beat edge.

Russel Escoto also delivered with 13 points, 11 boards and six blocks for the third-ranked Tams, who forged a winner-take-all by stunning the Junior Archers, 72-70, in double overtime last Saturday.

“We broke the Ateneo-La Salle tradition, that’s already an achievement for us,” said FEU mentor Horacio Lim of last season’s finalists.

The Blue Eaglets routed the Adamson University Baby Falcons, 78-45, to clinch the first Finals berth.

FEU also shone in women’s play as Bernadette Mercado collected 16 points, 12 assists and four steals to lead the Lady Tamaraws to a Finals stint following a 74-63 triumph over the Lady Falcons.

The Lady Tamaraws will clash in a title series versus the University of the Philippines Lady Maroons, who ousted the University of Santo Tomas Tigresses, 50-46.

busyon1
.... to those interested about the hurdle that our Saturday opponent overcame, article attached ....

.... Ateneo defeated FEU 70-56 in the first round .... FEU returned the favor in the second with a 90-87 overtime win ....

.... I feel in my biased bones that the Eaglets have the advantage .... but it would be great fun to watch if our feelings are right ....

Baby Tams Upset Zobel to claim last finals berth
Written by jonas_terrado
Wednesday, September 17, 2008

FEU-Nicanor Reyes Educational Foundation clinched the second finals berth by after pulling off an upset win over defending champion De La Salle Zobel, 58-56, in the 71st UAAP juniors basketball tournament at The Arena in San Juan.

The Baby Tamaraws leaned the heroics of Chris Tolomia, Russel Escoto and Chino Almario as they overcame a twice-to-beat disadvantage in the final four to eliminate the heavily-favored Junior Archers.

Tolomia and Escoto led FEU-FERN with 13 points apiece while Almario tallied 10 points and eight rebounds as they will meet Ateneo de Manila High School in a best-of-three finals series on Saturday at 3pm.

“Talagang depensa ang naging difference sa game na ito,” said head coach Horacio Lim, who is in his first season as the team’s head coach. “We lost ourselves down the stretch pero hindi bumigay ang mga bata.”

Tolomia, the younger brother of San Miguel Beer standout Chester Tolomia, ignited for nine points in the final period as the Baby Tamaraws erased a seven-point deficit in the third quarter to grab a 58-52 lead with over two minutes to go.

But the Junior Archers made a late push as Luigi dela Paz scored a basket with 36.0 seconds remaining for a two-point deficit. However, DLSZ failed to convert a game-tying basket on the game’s last possession as Nico Elorde missed a driving layup while Gwynne Capacio failed to score a follow-up after the miss.

“We clanked up the middle lalo na dun sa mga bola na binibigay kay Capacio and I think Elorde got frustrated because he missed a lot of shots, we covered all of their angles on the defensive side,” Lim said.

Escoto also added 11 rebounds and six blocks for FEU-FERN whole Tolomia shot 6-of-13 from the field while making nine rebounds and four assists.

“Down the stretch Tolomia played a crucial role for the team but it was all team effort during that time,” Lim told.

The Baby Tams, who finished the season with a 10-4 record, and the Blue Eaglets, who grabbed solo lead from DLSZ on the last day of the season to finish with a 12-2 mark, split their two matches during the elimination round.

“There’s no pressure on us because win or lose we’ll learn,“ Lim said of their matchup against Ateneo. “It’s a tall order to beat them but Ateneo is beatable so we’ll give our best.”

Ridge Santos and Elorde recorded 12 points apiece but the latter had six turnovers in the game. Capacio scored 11 points on a dismal 4-of-11 shooting to go with his game-high 21 rebounds.
busyon1
http://www.ateneo.edu/index.php?p=120&type=2&sec=27&aid=5797

The Blue Eaglets ….. deserve our support!
date posted: 2008-09-18 17:12:56

The Ateneo community will be at the epicenter of a basketball explosion this weekend, as the Blue Eagles make a bid for their first championship crown after six years, or their second after 19 years …

Almost forgotten are the Blue Eaglets who too will be vying for the championship, one it last held in 2006. The Blue Eaglets have been perennial finalists, except maybe in an odd year or two. It is a fair statement that the Blue Eaglets have represented the school with consistent excellence, having been listed as champions in 1995, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2006

The Blue Eaglets compete in a field that is less tainted with the malaise enveloping senior basketball. The specters of gambling, spurious officiating and [unqualified] athlete-students (though there have been cases already cropping up in the junior league) are at least more subdued in this division. When we conjure up notions of level playing fields and players competing by the code, the juniors more easily come to mind as student basketball in a purer sense.

There was a time, I think early in this decade, when I heard that the Eaglets team boasted that 50% of its players went up on stage to receive an honor card. Despite the lack of media exposure, glamor, logistics, adulation, one can still say that these Ateneans are closer to the ideals of love of sports, love of alma mater ….

This year, our team is composed of the following:

Jayvee Dumrique (team captain)
Andro Alonte
Dan Armena
Ael Banal
Al Bugarin
Tim Capacio
Chuckie Dumrique
Ivan Enriquez
Kevin Erazo
Kevin Gamboa
Paolo Pe
Von Pessumal
Kiefer Ravena
Ice Reyes
Paolo Romero
Juami Tiongson

The surnames hearken basketball tradition. “Banal,” “Capacio,” “Ravena” are known in basketball lore as acknowledged players/coaches. “Reyes” has a long pedigree both in Ateneo sports and in Philippine hoopdom. I think (correct me if I’m wrong) that “Gamboa” is related to former Eaglets …. and the Dumriques are brothers long accustomed to representing the Ateneo in the grade school tournaments. My point: modesty aside, the Ateneo High School program has earned a solid reputation for excellence in student athletics.

After watching the Eaglets defeat the defending champions La Salle (Zobel) in a second round game and garnering the top seeding, I bumped into my eye doctor. It turns out that Doctor Pessumal is the dad of Von ... a good player despite being only a sophomore. Doctor Pessumal was profuse in thanking my group for attending the games. He pointed out, sadly, that the La Salle galleries were even more numerous than the Ateneo crowd. And I thought that this was a shame. The Blue Eaglets are equally deserving of the outpouring of the community, specially compared to the largesse showered upon their older brothers.

Perhaps this is the price of success. My idols Tony Samson and Myopic Eagle write that they prefer boring games. If they watched the Eaglets, they will be bored with the number of boring games. Matches are often decided in the double digits. Which is not to say that even to the aficionado, the games lack technical merit. Very often, there are stretches of pure basketball wizardry … of fast-break plays coming in waves, one after another …. of assists that produce acrobatic undergoal stabs … of stifling defense that makes one almost pity the opponent. Shorn of commercialism, this is how the game should be played ….. the Ateneo way.

I was in the neighborhood yesterday and unlike the Big Dome, the Arena in San Juan has no ticket problem ….. only a parking problem. Out of curiosity, I watched the FEU-La Salle knock-out game where FEU hurdled the twice-to-beat advantage of La Salle to dethrone the defending champions. I was seated on the La Salle side (don’t ask me why …. but maybe because the female teachers – who were all present – and the cheerleaders provided attractive company.) After the stinging loss, after the consoling hugs and some tears, their gallery produced canned soft drinks and Burger King sandwiches for those present. (I of course demurred and went home …. baka mabulunan …)

This is not an indictment of any sort … merely an observation. In the calendar of activities, the finals game this Saturday is not even listed. In the write-ups for this season, a paltry paragraph is posted …. mentioning the score, the time the game started and the time the game ended. That’s it. Yet year after year, even when the seniors have gone dry, our Eaglets have given our school, so rich in basketball history, with a reason for a bonfire.

I do not have the records for double victories. La Salle achieved it last year; this year we have a better than even chance of getting it. The seniors will have to do their part. The juniors …. well, they have more often than not, borne their end of the bargain.

Therefore …. let’s give them our support …….. Saturday, 3PM at the Arena in San Juan ….. first game of best of three finals against the FEU Baby Tamaraws.

I will not even say “Believe.” The Eaglets have always kept the faith.
busyon1
.... today, the Blue Community starts its march to victory .... first up, the Eaglets take on FEU this afternoon, 3PM at the Arena, San Juan ..... Araneta tickets are now fetching P25,000 on E-bay.... a comparable seat at the Arena is only P100 ... but the Ateneans playing on the court represent the school just as well ..... they deserve our support .....

Ateneo, FEU jrs start title series

By JONAS TERRADO

Ateneo and FEU-Nicanor Reyes Educational Foundation open their best-of-three showdown for the juniors title of the 71st UAAP basketball tournament today at The Arena in San Juan.

The two teams, coming off contrasting fortunes to make it to the finals, tangle at 3 p.m.

The Eaglets trounced Adamson University while the Baby Tamaraws stunned defending champion De La Salle-Zobel by winning twice.

In the women’s division, Far Eastern University and University of the Philippines clash in their own best-of-three affair at 1 p.m.

Ateneo, which sported a 12-2 win-loss record, will again be led by Juami Tiongson, Kiefer Ravena and Jayvee Dumrique as Jamike Jarin is eyeing a sixth title in his 11th season as head coach.

The series will also feature a friendly duel between Jarin and his counterpart head coach Horacio Lim, who took over as head mentor of the Baby Tamaraws this season.

"They have a legendary coach in Horacio Lim who brought a lot of winning tradition to FEU," said Jarin. "We’re very close, minsan magkakasama kami we exchanged a lot of views, we go back a long time."

"I would say we’ll give him a good fight inside the court but outside he’s a good friend of mine," Lim said.

In FEU-FERN’s win over Zobel, the team was led by Chino Almario, Arwin Albano and Chris Tolomia, who scored 13 points in the winner-take-all match last Wednesday.

Big man Russel Escoto will also be tapped by Lim in order to neutralize the Ateneo frontline.

Meanwhile, Lady Tams head coach Mike Oliver will bank on Chovi Borja, Lynne Reyes and Bernadette Mercado in his quest for a first-ever title since 1999.

But the Lady Maroons, led by coach Eric Castro, aim to bounce back this time around after they were swept by Ateneo in the finals last season.

The duo of center Fatimo Tolentino and forward Sai Sadorra will lead UP in its bid to end a 25-year title drought.
Les Infanterie
any news on who won?
busyon1
.... the Arena is 10 minutes from my house .... as I anticipated, it took longer to find a parking space than to make the trip .... but it was worth it ...

.... the box section allocated to the Blue Side was almost full .... so the Blue Faithful was in attendance .... to watch the Blue Eaglets take a twice-to-beat advantage over the FEU Baby Tamaraws ..... 72-62 .......

..... the game was not as boring as some people would want .... Ateneo sped to a 7 point lead but suddenly succumbed to a spate of errors, allowing FEU to tie the game and even take the lead in the first quarter...

... middle of the 2nd quarter, FEU held a 7 to 9 point advantage .... the turnovers and the cold outside shooting plus a porous defense plagued the Eaglets ... but the guys found their composure and in a span of four minutes, clamping down on defense, finally hitting outside shots, going on fast-breaks, the Eaglets grabbed a 9 point half time lead ...

.... the third quarter saw the lead balloon to 17 but the Eaglets could not stretch it further ... the FEU Tams brought the lead back to 11 points ...

... in the fourth quarter, the lead was cut down to 6 points but no further .... the Ateneans held on to win pulling away ...

.... Juami Tiongson, Ael Banal and Enriquez were the heroes of the game .... JV Dumrique contributed steady minutes while Kiefer Ravena, inconsistent the whole game, exploded with a couple of fast break points at the end .... special mention too to Von Pessumal and the other Dumrique for contributing steady minutes .... Bugarin too ...

... on the FEU side, it was a Tolomia show as the shifty guard led his team (and the refs allowed him to drag his pivot foot on several penetrations) ... their Almario was in early foul trouble and their big mam, Escoto (reminds me a young Arwind Santos) was quiet in the first half and only became offensive-minded in the second ... too late though ... their only other contributor was Albano .... but as I noted, our bench is far deeper than theirs ...

.... ok ngarud, one down, one to go ... it was announced that the second game will held next Saturday, same time, same place ...

... the first foundation for a double has been laid .... we can look forward to history being made ......

UAAP Junior’s: Ateneo trips FEU in finals opener
Article posted September 20, 2008 - 05:34 PM
2006 © GMA Network Inc.

MANILA, Philippines – The Ateneo Blue Eaglets scored a 72-62 win against the Far Eastern University Baby Tamaraws in their finals opener for the UAAP Junior’s basketball crown Saturday at The Arena in San Juan City.

Ian Enriquez frolicked his way inside the paint to finish with 18 points behind a perfect seven-of-seven field goal shooting. He also grabbed 17 rebounds, blocked two shots and had an assist. – Andrew Lanot
busyon1
Eaglets, Lady Tams near title

By JONAS TERRADO
Manila Bulletin

Ateneo hammered out a convincing 72-62 victory over FEU-Nicanor Reyes Educational Foundation yesterday to take Game 1 of the 71st UAAP basketball tournament junior division finals at The Arena in San Juan City.

The Eaglets’ win came after the FEU Lady Tamaraws downed the University of the Philippines Lady Fighting Maroons, 54-52, in their separate women’s best-of-three finals.

The Eaglets, after a sluggish first quarter, came through with a sustained offensive in the next three periods to outbalance the Baby Tamaraws and move to within a win of claiming their sixth title since Jamike Jarin took over as head coach 11 seasons ago.

Ian Enriquez led Ateneo with 18 points and 17 rebounds while Juami Tiongson and Ael Banal, son of multi-titled coach Joel Banal, added 15 and 13 points, respectively.

Kiefer Ravena, son of former PBA player Bong Ravena, scored 11 points and five assists for the Loyola-based cagers.

The Baby Tamaraws raced to a 21-16 lead at the start before Ateneo exploded a 20-6 bomb to race to a 36-27 bubble at the turn.

The Eaglets stretched the lead to 16 points, 64-48, and used this as a cushion against the rallying Baby Tamaraws, who could only come to within 60-66, 1:49 remaining.

The Eaglets sealed the win as Ravena completed a three-point play off Armin Albano, 69-60, with jus 68 ticks left.

"There was a chance there that we could have gotten a big lead but knowing coach Horacio (Lim) and his team, they never gave up until the end," Jarin said.

In the first game, the Lady Tamaraws led, 52-43, with only two minutes and 23 seconds left but the Lady Fighting Maroons made a last gasp for glory, exploiting FEU’s misses from the stripes to threaten, 52-54, 19.9 seconds to go.

In that final two minutes stretch, the Lady Tamaraws sank only two of their 12 free throws.

This proved just enough as UP botched a potential game-winning three-point attempt by Jedil Robelo with a second to go.

First Game (Womens)

FEU 54 — Mercado 13, Miag-ao 8, Borja M. 6, Rivera 6, Borja C. 6, Positos 5, Reyes 4, Palmera 4, Sernal 2, Supnet 0, Leviste 0

UP 52 — Sadorra 17, Tolentino 16, Tomelden 7, Bautista D. 4, Cainglet 3, Casino 2, Paz 2, Stevens 1, Robelo 0, Bautista M. 0, del Rosario 0.

Quarters: 13-13; 26-15; 41-34; 54-52.

Second Game (Juniors)

ATENEO 72 — Enriquez 18, Tiongson 15, Banal 13, Ravena 11, Dumrique J. 6, Romero 4, Pessumal 2, Dumrique C. 1, Bugarin 1, Gamboa 1, Pe 0, Capacio 0, Reyes 0.

FEU-FERN 62 — Tolomia 18, Albano 11, Santiago 10, Almario 9, Escoto 7, Pardo 7, Infante 0, Managuelod 0, Bautista 0

Quarters: 16-21, 36-27, 51-41, 72-62.

baldeagle
Watched the game on TV. Too bad it was a day late and "edited". Our Junior squad is definitely guard-oriented, with only Enriquez and Bugarin as bona fide big men. And, not surprisingly, they won game 1 on defense, just like their Senior counterparts. It was also surprising to see a lot of 2nd year players on the squad playing significant minutes. Bodes well for the coming years.

I think Tiongson and Dumrique can play in the seniors and could end up replacing Chris and Yuri. With Jai, Eric and Kirk still around next year, the coaching staff can bring these guys along slowly.

How tall and what year is Enriquez?
busyon1
http://www.ateneo.edu/index.php?p=120&type=2&sec=27&aid=5805

Prologue to a pennant

date posted: 2008-09-21 11:16:34
By Enzo Flojo; Photos by Willi Baclao

There is no sibling rivalry, but when it comes to winning UAAP Basketball Titles, the younger ones from the very end of Masterson Drive do better than their big brothers from the College.

They do it with less fanfare, but they are efficient and effective nonetheless. In the seasons when our Seniors were going through turbulent highs and lows, our Juniors were consistently successful.

For the Eagles, each year would bring doubt – “Will our Eagles contend for the title or hanggang Final Four lang?”

For the Eaglets, however, each year would bring about a different measure of uncertainty – “Who will the Juniors play against when they get to the Finals again?”

It’s the upstarts wearing the blue-and-khaki uniforms outperforming the poster-boys they look up to, but this season is different.

I’m not old enough to remember the last time both the Juniors and Seniors squads of Ateneo won their respective Championships in the same year, but this time we have a good shot at making it happen. Thankfully, Coach Jamike Jarin’s boys are halfway through after winning Game 1 of their series against the FEU-FERN Baby Tamaraws yesterday, September 20, at The Arena in San Juan.

It’s another Blue-Green tiff, but hardly as sensational as the one in Araneta.

A few days ago, as I was on my way to teach English in 3C, Juniors Center Al Bugarin approached me and said, “Sir, sayang hindi La Salle kalaban natin!” I just smiled then replied, “Yeah, but can you guys beat FEU?” He just smirked and nodded his head.

I agree with him. FEU is definitely no pushover, but we did beat them handily in the first round before losing in double-overtime in the second round. This Horacio Lim-mentored quintet from Diliman may have found a way to squirm past the Junior Archers of Zobel, but they still have their work cut out for them against our Blue Boys.

Needless to say, we stamped our class in yesterday’s initial skirmish with the Green&Gold. Fresh from his fourth-year retreat, Ivan Enriquez asserted his might in the shaded lane against the Sequoia-ish frontline of FEU. He anchored our first half assault, scoring 14 points en route to ending up with 18 markers and double-digit caroms. Ael Banal and Juami “Magic” Tiongson shot the lights out with four and three triples respectively. Kiefer Ravena and Paolo Romero combined for 15 points to provide the scoring punch off the pine, and Jayvee Dumrique was all over the hardwood, cleaning the glass, pilfering the opposition, and issuing deft assists. It was a well-oiled machine which was unleashed yesterday, and we are now one win away from another Juniors Crown because of it.

That’s not to say that FEU didn’t even show up to play. They actually started strong and led after the initial ten minutes, 21-16. Then the Eaglets’ vaunted full-court press, which could rival the one concocted by Franz Pumaren, shifted into high gear as our Blue & White limited their foes to only 6 points in the second quarter while netting 20 of their own. They were on top at the break, 36-27.

For the final half Coach Jamike’s wards just kept the enemy at bay with timely hits. Every run by the Baby Tams was followed by an impressive counterpunch from the Eaglets. The last one saw a magnificent steal by Dumrique and an “and-one” lay-up from Ravena to put the victory beyond doubt.

The boys have done their part to make Season 71 truly a season of grace for our beloved school. I believe their big bros can do theirs as well.

Before this game, I asked Tiongson and Ravena whether we could take the diadem home this year or not. They both shrugged their shoulders and gave a confident reply – “Kaya sir!”

True to the endlessly hopeful spirit of youth, they believe they can do it, and I do too. Let’s wrap it up this Saturday.

GO ATENEO! ONE BIG FIGHT!

Les Infanterie
when is game 2? unsure.gif
busyon1
Les Infanterie Posted Today, 09:49 AM: "when is game 2?"

..... Saturday, September 27, 3PM at the Arena (San Juan) ......
BLUE HORSE
Ivan Enriquez is a senior. Other tall players on the team outside of Enriquez and Bugarin are Capacio, Pe and Romero. Bugarin and Capacio are juniors while Pe and Romero are both sophomores.

Jamike Jarin has always had a surplus of guards. The eaglets basically run a three guard line-up and use their speed and deep bench to tire the taller opposing teams. The year Bacon and Tonino won the championship, they beat a very tall FEU team that had six players receive college scholarships from both FEU and UP. The team of Jai I believe included Pao Dizon and Carlo Medina.
busyon1
..... just thinking out loud ..... not insinuating anything ..... not raising expectations .....

..... but when was the last time there were two bonfires in Loyola Heights? .....

..... the 1987-88 season .....
DIESELBIRDIE
QUOTE(busyon1 @ Sep 23 2008, 10:47 AM) *
..... just thinking out loud ..... not insinuating anything ..... not raising expectations .....

..... but when was the last time there were two bonfires in Loyola Heights? .....

Actually no. 85-86 and 86-87 HS teams won back to back titles (not sure if 3 peat because the 84 to 85 team was also a strong team) . The 87-88 and 88-89 Seniors teams won back to back titles against UE and vl salle respectively.
BigBlue
the last double-crown was in 1977.
ajbt
QUOTE(BigBlue @ Sep 23 2008, 01:43 PM) *
the last double-crown was in 1977.

And if I am not mistaken, that was a double-double juniors and seniors in basketball and volleyball. Basketball games were held in Loyola Center (aka Blue Eagle Gym) but volleyball games were held in the big siopao in greenhills. We watched a game there and after they lost, they started breaking the windshields of all the cars with Ateneo stickers. A La Salle brother had to run out and stop their students destruction.
Loyolalista
QUOTE(DIESELBIRDIE @ Sep 23 2008, 11:11 AM) *
QUOTE(busyon1 @ Sep 23 2008, 10:47 AM) *

Actually no. 85-86 and 86-87 HS teams won back to back titles (not sure if 3 peat because the 84 to 85 team was also a strong team) . The 87-88 and 88-89 Seniors teams won back to back titles against UE and vl salle respectively.

83-84 and 84-85 also won championships. the 86-87 Junior champs completed a four-peat for ADMU HS. In 2002 both seniors and juniors were in the finals, sadly the Jrs. team lost to UPIS.
busyon1
..... "once in a blue moon" ....

.... that expression refers to a rare phenomenon ... I looked at the sky last night .... the moon was blue over Loyola Heights ...

.... it's easy to research when a "double" was accomplished by the Eagles/Eaglets .... just focus on the seniors championships which have been few and far between .... not on the juniors (championships) which happen as often as VL Sallites flash dirty fingers ....

.... tomorrow, the blue moon will rise as the Blue Eaglets go for the clinching win over the FEU Baby Tamaraws at the Arena (San Juan) at 3PM .....

.... wouldn't it be great if the Baby Tamaraws entered the court only to find the whole arena filled with blue ..... they will know that they are beaten .... because this is our year .... and we will not be denied ....

..... unlike yesterday which cost P25,000 per ticket, only parking spaces are scalped and there's always a place to park if one can walk a few minutes ....

..... we are 75% on our way to a double .... three down, one win to go .... hope that the Sixth Man of the Blue Community can enjoy this rare occurence of a blue moon over Loyola .....

dogbert
Does anybody know if they are going to show the Juniors' game tomorrow?
busyon1
Today is your last chance to be part of an already historic season. The Blue Eaglets gun for the rare double this afternoon at the Arena (San Juan) at 3PM.

dogbert Posted Yesterday, 05:12 PM: "Does anybody know if they are going to show the Juniors' game tomorrow?"

Sorry, I wouldn't know. But televised or not, nothing replaces being there. Ask the thousands who were at the Big Dome last Thursday .... how nobody left .... everybody stayed shouting, cheering, enjoying the jubilation enfolding on the court, listening to every word on the sound system, otherwise taking in the culmination of a quest.

After this afternoon, Ateneo would have scaled an Everest, a rare double. For the last time, you will hear the beat of the drums reverberating on your chest; you will shout the cheers and yells; you will witness the offense and defense that are the hallmarks of the Ateneo fighting spirit.

The opponent is no push-over. They have a 6'6" center who can reprise Nownow Block-lao ... they have a guard who slides in the lane (but also travels) with impunity .... they have a shooter who can explode if left open .... a no. 4 who is powerful on the inside .... Santiago who is erratic but who can get hot ... a very experienced coach.

But our team is superior .... because of "puso!" (borrowing Rabeh's words.) Our team proudly represents the school .... and the community is in turn justly proud of our team.

Ivan Enriquez owns the paint, back-stopped by Bugarin and Capacio and Pe. Juami Tiongson is the scorer, both treys and lay-ups. JV Dumrique is the Chris Tiu - the stabilizer, while Kiefer Ravena is the Eric Salamat, the spark-plug. Ael Banal is the three-point threat while Pessumal is the inside operator. Gamboa and C Dumrique are the relievers who give the first five respite. Ice Reyes and Romero are the impact players .... in short, we have a team who loves to assist and who play with youthful abandon.

After today, we will refer to the season as a milestone ... a rare double. But that's for the future .... today, those reading this, come on down to San Juan. Be part of history still being made.

The team needs your ..... ONE BIG FIGHT!
Lakandiwa
We've just made history. Blue Eaglets defeat FEU-FERN, also by 11 points.
One big fight!
2sc1
The Ateneo de Manila Blue Eaglets won 71-60 over the FEU-FERN Baby Tamaraws in Game 2 to become the new UAAP Juniors Basketball Champions. This is the first time that our Juniors and Mens Seniors teams have been champions in the same year since we left the NCAA.

Congratulations Blue Eaglets!!!

ONE
BIG
FIGHT!
busyon1
....attended the juniors game just now where Ateneo beat FEU to claim the championship ... VL Salle was awarded a trophy as second runner-up .... now one came to claim the trophy ....
Lakandiwa
QUOTE(busyon1 @ Sep 27 2008, 05:44 PM) *
....attended the juniors game just now where Ateneo beat FEU to claim the championship ... VL Salle was awarded a trophy as second runner-up .... now one came to claim the trophy ....

Ah, now we know. Maybe there was a memo? Trophies other than the championship trophy cannot be accepted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.